Saturday, April 21, 2012

Midwest Travels--Part III, Quilt Festival

Kathy and I got up early on Saturday morning for the silk scarf dye-painting class with Heather Thomas.  It was a totally new experience for me.  After some color mixing instructions, we were taught three different techniques to color our scarves, using Dye-Na-Flow paint/dyes.  The first was painting three different colors on the scarf with a foam brush--meant to dry before the end of class so we could try some stamping techniques, if desired.  I wanted some recognizable shapes on my scarf so painted stripes and X's (and was the only one to do so!) in purple and two colors of green.

This is before stamping and heat setting with steam.  I love it!  The other two techniques were folding/dipping, and lastly, "resist" with rubber bands and stitching.  We took those home wet, in baggies, but were able to wear our first scarf out of the class.  Really fun and almost mistake proof--my kind of project!  After class, Mom and Florence joined us for lunch, some shopping, and viewing of the quilts. 

I took this picture especially for Shay, for her love of Matroyshka dolls.  Unfortunately, the lighting was not the best, being behind and above the viewer, but I hope you can see enough of the quirk and life in this entirely hand wrought, large quilt.

Look at the bunny Matroyshkas!  The stitchery and embellishment detail everywhere was beyond exquisite and must have taken many many happy hours, certainly deserving of its first place award. 


The rest of the photos I put into this slideshow.  You can also click on the photo to be taken to my Web Album and view the photos full size.  Enjoy!
(Note: All photos were taken at the International Quilt Festival, Cincinnati.)





Here on the right is Cousin Florence with my sister Kathy and me, wearing satisfied smiles with our scarves and sporting some very tired feet and lightened wallets!  Next post, Cousin Florence and Mom learn to dye paint silk scarves too, and reveal of scarf magic from our other classroom attempts.

6 comments:

Dogwood Lane Rambles said...

I took a silk painting class it must be 10 years ago now. I just loved the way the silk accepted the color so vibrant. This looks like a lot of fun was had by all.

Quilter Kathy said...

I'm so jealous...you are having way too much fun! Love the doll quilt!

Vivian said...

Thanks for the slideshow, and the wonderful doll quilt is a gem. I've never had the opportunity to try dyeing fabric. Maybe some day.

Dawn said...

More great fun!
Love the scarves - your smiles say it all.
Thank you for sharing.

Kate said...

Beautiful scarves. I love the Matroyshka quilt. Looks like lots of fun!

Shay said...

Oh Annie those little Babushkas are thrilling my heart! Thank you for thinking of me and taking that picture. That quilt is brilliant!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...