Thursday, October 11, 2012

Things You Learn

Today's post has a hint and some valuable advice about reading: 

If you have a machine like my Husqvarna Lily that uses snap on feet, you might have an "ankle" that must be removed for the free motion foot or walking foot.  Here I have removed the 1/4" quilting snap on foot from the ankle.

See that tiny screw?  I am always afraid that, upon unscrewing, it is going to fall and get stuck in the machine innards, especially if I have the bobbin case cover off, which I often do when changing to quilting weight thread.

Therefore, I keep a piece of cardboard (this is the background of an old mini calendar) in my sewing desk and cover the entire area.  No chance of the tiny screw getting in now! 

It pays to read your owner's manual!  I have often referred to mine but in the nearly 11 years I have had this machine, had not until last month discovered an option I now use regularly.  See the U-shaped arrow above the 2.5 on the display screen?  I learned that by quickly pushing the big U-shaped reverse button twice, the reverse feature stays "on" until the button is pushed again.

I often found that having to take one hand off my project to hold down the reverse button resulted in my stitching being "off" or the project shifting.  Now with the reverse button engaged, I can start stitching backwards towards the edge while using both hands to guide the fabric.

Then hit the reverse button to release it and start forward again--much neater for turning corners on binding, or starting any seam where you want to backtack.  I can't explain why I missed this information in all these years, but obviously if I read it before, it didn't stick in my brain.  So, sewists, check your manual for features you may have missed!

8 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

I wish I had taken the "getting to know your Janome" classe when I bought mine 4 years ago! I recently discovered something very new to me although if I would read my manual I'd learn more. :o)

Cathie said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have a Viking 500 and was always annoyed that I to keep pressing the 'reverse' button. Can't wait to try it!

Janet O. said...

My machines are all such basic mechanical models (Bernina, Viking and Pfaff) that there are no features to miss. : )

*karendianne. said...

Ha! What a clever post! I guess because I've lived it myself. Well not exactly but you know, I don't always read directions. I'm close to bad about that. My poor parents are ashamed. lol.

Libby said...

Great tip! Did you see anything in there about a bobbin that fills itself while you sew? Someone has got to invent that . . . . someday . . . .

Shay said...

Im with Janet . No bells and whistles on my old faithful.

I think most of us are guilty of not really reading our instruction books!

Marg said...

I'm guilty of not reading the manual thoroughly too.

Judy D in WA said...

Recently I had to ask what a little gadget was for my Designer 1, turns out it's the tool you use when you change a light bulb! I searched that manual and never saw it until someone told me what page it was! :)
Great tip about the cardboard cover.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...