- Biggest story of the past week in our county was the Springs Fire, which started just after dawn on Thursday and quickly, with the aid of low humidity, very dry brush due to serious lack of winter rains, and hot East winds we call Santa Anas, caused many people to be evacuated when the fire raced up the mountains to housing tracts abutting the Santa Monica mountain wilderness. The plume of smoke visible on Friday morning was incredible--10,000 feet high. We're about 20 miles away from where the fire burned but were nervous for friends and relatives who live up the hill. Due to some amazing firefighting crews, pilots dropping water and retardant, plus a little help from Mother Nature with a return of humidity and even a bit of rain, the fire is now 85-90% contained. No lives were lost but some property and vehicles were destroyed, and I think one house. The cause of the fire is unknown but arson was ruled out.
- That new garden area we planted a couple of weeks ago? I've already managed to half-kill the new plants by forgetting to water and not reminding Grant to put the sprinklers on. Sheesh.
- Remember that traffic ticket I got my first day at my new job that was $490? I have a court date the end of this month since I contested the citation--I didn't run a red stoplight. Wish me luck!
- Traffic Rant: Drivers who text and web surf. Stupid, careless, dangerous. Get away from me, please!
- Walking to work from the bus these last two months I've gotten to see spring arrive. The other day I was admiring new blooms on the jacaranda trees when I spotted an unusual shape in the branches.
I could have used this umbrella on Monday but it was gone. Guess someone else needed it!