Monday, October 14, 2013

Design Wall Monday--October 14, 2013

On my design surface today are two piles of new fabrics for new projects--both will become baby quilts. 

I met daughter Elaine at Superbuzzy yesterday so we could pick out fabric for my future grandson's baby quilt.  She and her husband like modern colors and designs so we started off with the burnt orange color print with the squares (S'mores line) and had a great time pulling bolts to go with it.  The little raccoons kill me!  Elaine had some months ago pinned a quilt on Pinterest as inspiration, which was essentially a classic goose chase pattern.  We worked out what size we'd like for the geese and ended up buying quarter yard cuts of these prints.  Since a couple of these are directional, we'll be able to cut either crosswise or lengthwise and get what we need.  I'm going to make up a sample of the size geese we think we want, just to make sure before I cut into this lovely and not inexpensive fabric!

But before my grandson arrives, Elaine and Chris are getting a nephew via his brother and wife, who are due at the end of the month.  I picked out a simple pattern to go with some fat quarters I scored at Tuesday Morning at least a year ago (maybe two!). 

I thought the farm theme was cute and fun for a baby boy.  

Look at the piggy--irresistible, no? I'll fussy cut as many of the animals as I can for the 5" squares the pattern requires. I have three colorways of the animal print and several coordinates that came in the fat quarter pack--those on the right are pulled from stash.  The cream will be the sashing.  I'll get my sister started on ironing these up for me   See more design walls on Judy's Patchwork Times. 

Oh, and Happy Birthday, Dad! 

5 comments:

Bonnie said...

I love to look at Tuesday Morning for quilt stuff. However, I try not to as I want to USE fabric not buy it! Your grandson's fabric is great. And, what a good job you did pulling fabrics for the quilt from stash. It's amazing what we can do with just our stashes.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Baby quilts are the fun-nest!! Bad grammar but a good word to describe making baby quilts. LOVE those raccoons!

Nann said...

What a delicious fabric assortment! The bold graphics of these contemporary fabrics are great. I'll be interested to see what block design(s) you make from them.

Kate said...

Fun, fun fabrics! Can't wait to see the quilts you make from them.

Tanya said...

What a fun time you are going to have with those cute fabrics and BABY quilts which won't take much time at all! I love it when results are seen within a matter of weeks... And of course all that grandmotherly love that will go into the work. Heaven!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...