Monday, May 19, 2014

Design Wall Monday--5/19/2014

On my design surface today is another project that has been lingering in a box, unfinished, for far too long.  In keeping with my motto of the year, follow through, and since the turntable cutting mat was already out, I set to work. 

Some years ago someone gave me the bright pink fabric, which was cut in long and wide bias pieces.  I felt it looked a bit oriental and sewed a bunch of leftover cutoff Asian print triangles from this quilt below, Oriental Plates, which I made in 2006 from a Gai Perry design and gave to my work friend. It took a surprisingly short amount of time to trim all the HSTs to 3" square.  I don't know why I dread that part so much.


Many of the fabrics were Japanese imports I bought at a great little quilt shop in Pismo Beach. Anyway, several years ago I had the bright idea to do some sort of applique or embroidery and set the HSTs around it.  My applique skills being what they are, yesterday I abandoned the original delicate floral motif idea for something much simpler :)  Pawing around in the books and magazines in the Hoosier cabinet, I came across a cutie:


 This is Sunbonnet Sue Goes To The Orient.  Fittingly, the magazine containing this pattern is also from 2006.
 

The hardest part has turned out to be selecting the fabrics for the applique.  My Sue will have black pants, a green blouse, and an orange hat.  Maybe.  Still pondering!

See more Design Walls on Judy's Patchwork Times.  

5 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

Cute and don't you just love old quilting magazines?

Janet O. said...

I dread trimming up HSTs, too--and I am always surprised that it goes faster than I expected.
Cute little quilt you are creating. That is a great solution for the middle. : )

Shay said...

Such a cute idea Annie. Your oriental lady is going to set that piece off beautifully.

You're so clever!

Kate said...

Such a cute idea and a great way to get those HSTs into a finished project.

Chantal said...

She is so cute and she seems to be right at home with the HST fabric. It will be beautiful. Can't wait to see it finished.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...