Monday, June 2, 2014

Design Wall Monday

On my design surface today  is a project I thought of starting nearly two years ago, but didn't.  


In July 2012 we had some very special guests from Russia come to stay with us for several weeks: a long-time friend who had moved to and married a Russian lady, and their 5 year old daughter, Alica (pronounced Ah-lisa).  Alica and I instantly had a mutual admiration thing going, and we enjoyed spending time together. She was enamored of the matryoshka doll her mother brought as a gift for me, and which I let her play with when her parents were out of sight.  Shortly after our visitors left, I found this cute matryoshka doll fabric at JoAnn's and always intended to make Alica a small quilt.  Well, her father is in town visiting us again, and I pulled it out of the stash along with some companions.

Alica will be 7 years old soon, and her favorite color is pink.  The fabric above is photographing red, but it is really a deep, bright pink and has cats all over it. 

More like this!  Alica was also fond of my cat, Mini; said cat would have nothing to do with a five year old girl, though Alica kept trying :) .  I'll make a simple strippie quilt, just a nap size, for my dear little friend in Nizhny Novgorod, with love.


See more design walls on Judy's Patchwork Times.

10 comments:

Bonnie said...

That will be one cute quilt. Have you thought of making a Strippy quilt from Mary Quilts? Here's the link: http://www.maryquilts.com/quick-strippie/
It looks to me that the Matryoshka fabric would work really well with that pattern. Good luck.

Janet O. said...

Cute, cute, cute!! I don't know if you recall my Matryoshka doll collection that I posted during the Olympics, but I have kept my eye out for a cute fabric with the dolls on it and I have never seen one this cute before. Obviously I don't get into JoAnn's enough! It is going to make a perfect strippy quilt and she will love it!

Ramona said...

How lovely! It will be nice for Alica to have this special gift from you to remember your times together. Love the fabric.

Rhonda said...

She will love whatever you make but I do love the fabrics you've chosen.

Shay said...

You just know I'm going to love this ! Babushkas- my favourite thing. Cant wait to see this one come together Annie.

Barb said...

love those fabrics..ummm ummm good...

what a cutie there

MARCIE said...

Very cute fabric Annie! What a sweet thing to make it for Alicia. She will love it! What a cutie!

Lorraine said...

I am sure it will be a much loved quilt - beautiful bright fabrics!

Quilter Kathy said...

This will be such a cute quilt for a little cutie!

Sarah said...

What a pretty little girl! She will love those fabrics and colours in her quilt. But how quickly they grow up. My daughter is now nearly 11 and into such different colours and things than when she was seven. Ever changing!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...