The Timber Quilt (Alison Glass pattern), now several months past due for a wedded couple, remains in pieces, but much bigger pieces!
There were four of the narrow angled strip sections, two of which were mirror image. After constantly realigning the first group on my cutting mat, I finally got smart and used a visual aid.
Ah, much easier! The finished size of the section was the outer limit of the tape, so it was easier to see where the strips were to go. The layout was complicated by this being a rectangle rather than a square. There are a couple of squidgy areas I will have to be careful to enclose in the seam allowance so as not to leave a hole.
Here are the completed four corner sections laid out with the center section. Next, neutral colored sashing will be added along with outer borders in Silver Kona. I'm making the quilt a little bigger than the pattern calls for, but not as big as the optional 15" border. So some MATH will be required. Therein lies the current stalling... It was my intention to get this quilt top together over my Christmas holiday, but sadly I did very little sewing. Time to get back to it.
I pulled out my four patches and cut a bunch of corner triangles, as I thought I could use them as leader enders while sewing the Timber strips. But that didn't work out because of the uneven length of the strips. My sister stopped by while I was counting out how many hundred four patches I have (there are about 300 in this photo). She almost had a stroke, as small squares affect her deeply :) I have yet to decide how I will put these together once the triangles are all added. Originally I was going to set them like the Go Four It quilt by Edyta Sitar for American Patchwork & Quilting, but I have seen some other layouts I like too. A long term project can be a good thing.