Sunday, February 4, 2018

Thomas Fire Quilts Being Finished

Our little Ventura Modern Quilt Guild has been busy collecting blocks and making tops, quilting and binding them, labeling and assigning to different recipients.  We were lucky to secure an empty office in a building with rent charged of only $1, where we can store all the quilts and fabric and give members their cars and homes  back, including mine!  Our Communications chair is a longarm quilter and my sister Kathy jumped at the chance to play during  a sew in  at her house recently.  We are just beginning to get quilts made from the Perikomen Valley blocks and this is one of them.  

Isn't it pretty?  Kathy turned out to be "a natural", and I received a message that she is "hooked". I wish that either one of us had the money and space for a longarm machine!  I worked at home on two quilts that just needed binding sewn down.  These were donated tops, I believe, that other guild members quilted and attached binding to. 
So very pretty and modern.  It is about 50-60", a nice lap size.  The other one was a behemoth queen size and not nearly so modern, but very nicely pieced.

Someone did some beautiful quilting on this very brown quilt.  Lots of feathers and crosshatching.  It took me awhile to do the binding by machine as I had to trim about 1/8th of an inch off the sandwich to pull the binding far enough over to cover the seam line.  A few places where I missed were hand stitched closed.  I dropped these off Saturday and picked up another kit of blocks to sew into a top.  I have another set of blocks and two quilts I made backings for that need to be quilted.  Hoping to get one basted tomorrow after work.  We are having sew-ins every weekend this month, except for the dates of QuiltCon in a couple of weeks, where the generous folks have let us have a booth.  So many people are helping that makes the job go faster and easier.  Looking forward to our next guild meeting and the handing out of Thomas Fire Quilts.  

1 comment:

Kate said...

It's good to know that your guild got lots of blocks and quilts. It seems like such a small thing to do, but hopefully it makes those who lost so much feel a bit better.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...