Monday, April 23, 2018

Design Wall Monday, April 23

Off my design wall is the doll quilt I'm making for Humble Quilts' annual swap.   Here's the top before sandwiching.




I SMITD it--meaning I Stitched Mostly In The Ditch (ahem). 


However, once I finished the quilting, I felt the large cornerstones were too distracting, so I trimmed them back to 1.5" from the sashing.  I had already made binding so attached that right away.
I'm much happier with the proportions now.  A label is yet to be made and attached, but this will go in the mail this week, hopefully on a lunch hour.

Next on the design wall, because 25+ UFOs are not enough, I started TWO new projects.  One is for a class a guild member is teaching next weekend.  I'm prepping sections to make a quilted Big Bag. I received one in 2014 made by a guild member in a scrap box swap, and these have been widely made by other guild members since.
While many members are using panels of single fabrics, prequilting them for assembly, I decided to make similarly pieced panels for my version, using all of the dotted fabrics in my stash.

I have a LOT of dotted fabrics, one of my stash staples, certainly.  Since this photo I've laid out and sewn two sections of 20 pieces.  Three more to go...Meanwhile, an invitation to a Baby Shower arrived the other week, so naturally I decided to make a baby quilt.  Wanting to use a bunch of charm packs and squares on hand, I chose the Meet Cute pattern designed by Preeti Harris of Sew Preeti Quilts, available HERE in the Moda Bakeshop.  

It is another strip pieced project requiring mixing of patterns and scale and color, my favorite thing.  I'll make four of the 18" blocks for a "Tummy Time" size quilt.  It feels great to be using up scraps and stash.

See more design walls on Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

8 comments:

Judy D in WA said...

Whoever receives your little quilt is lucky! It is fabulous!!!
I love that bag and your fabric choices for the new one are wonderful. I think I need a collection of dotted fabrics.

julieQ said...

Such a fun house quilt...perfect quilting! Love your bag...I need to make one of those, just saying!

loulee said...

You always seem to have so much on the go, I don't know how you keep up with yourself. LOL
Love the bag and your spotty version sounds good too.

Louise said...

Such a cute little mini house quilt! I think you did the right thing to cut down the cornerstones :)

Kate said...

The mini houses are so cute, the red binding is a very nice frame for that little quilt. Love your fabric pull for both your new projects.

Judy Hansen said...

I agree with the smaller cornerstones on the house blocks. Good job. The other two projects will be great. I have the pattern for a big bag, but haven't made it yet....it's on the list of 1,000 things I want to make someday. Thanks for linking with Design Wall Monday, I apprecaite you. Judy

Tanya said...

Look at all those great dots! I am fond of dots too and they seem to fit in so many projects.

Preeti said...

Love the little houses. it has a very vintage feel to it - almost nostalgic. That big quilted bag is totally awesome!!! I do want one.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...