Monday, March 25, 2019

Three for March--#9 Pick

This morning's number draw was #4 on my UFO list, Mythical Lanterns, a Jen Carlton-Bailly pattern. Jen taught this class for our guild last year.  I purchased a full set of her templates for the class--which she discounted for us. 

I bought some Essex Linen to use with a charm pack I had of Wing and Leaf.  Unfortunately, my choice of charms meant using the 3.5" templates, which were hard to sew neatly with the thicker Essex Linen.  I have decided to use just this block to make a pillow cover, requiring one more Drunkard's Path block to use in the corners, with borders of the Essex Linen.  I have several coordinating 1/4 cuts of the purple print that I can use for a pieced back and binding. I better not mess up as I used the rest of the Wing and Leaf charm pack to make a playmat for guild.

There was a beach trip following my last post--after a visit with my Mom and Dad, I bought a drive-thru burger and took myself to Surfer's Point.  Just as I found a parking spot, a huge group of pelicans was flying past, but I was not quick enough to get a good shot of them with my phone. There was other scenery, though, while I stitched a little on the Blackwork embroidery. 


Clouds, palm trees, surfers, shoreline and the Santa Monica Mountains in the distance. It was windy and cool and I enjoyed watching from my car.

Here's part of the Superbloom of California Poppies--from our backyard.  My brother lives close to where the Lake Elsinore Superbloom covers multiple mountains and the crowds are thick.  Pretty tame in my backyard :)

4 comments:

Tanya said...

Your block is so pretty! And so are the poppies! I love California poppies and miss them a lot. Not the right climate for them in Japan.

Preeti said...

That is a gorgeous block. I saw (and saved) that pattern few months ago. I am so tempted to go find it right now and jump into it. But other things must be done.
You know those flowers were on NPR news because of the crowds they were attracting.

Karen said...

An unusual and very interesting block.

Kate said...

Love that block! Glad you found a way to work a finish out of it. It would be sad for that block to languish in the orphan pile.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...