Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Tuesday's Orts

It's been a long time since I posted Tuesday's Orts---bits and pieces of events and thoughts that I gather in one post.  This one may be a little longer than most, lol. 
  • Question: Why do people come to see a doctor if they have absolutely no desire whatsoever to take any instruction/recommendation about their health?  This has no relation to age, curiously.
  • Our 5 year old grandson Cove, in a video taken by his mom, talked about an outfit he had on, explaining that he was wearing blue pants, a blue shirt and blue underwear.  Prompted by his mom, his reasoning for this theme was "To get with the Program".  Oh, that kid is hilarious!
  • Hunter, age 3, was upset after getting out of the bathtub the other night, he wanted his mom to take the wrinkles off his fingers.  "I can't get these off!" he told her. 
  • We are overrun with mosquito hawks since the recent rainy weather.  I had to bat a dozen out of my way to pick an avocado off our tree.   Clouds of them rise up when walking on the lawn or brushing against a bush.  Wish they did actually eat mosquitoes, but alas, it's a myth.
  • Traffic RantPeople Who Have No Idea What They Are Doing.  This was in evidence twice tonight, on my way downtown to get my hair done, a small SUV in front of me was driving 10 mph below the speed limit, sped up and slowed down multiple times, drove over the shoulder line, and then sped up when the speed limit went down.  On the way home from the salon, a girl turned into a shopping center before me, and when a few car lengths in,  decided to make a U turn in the middle of the road, right in front of me.  There was also a cop watching this nonsense so I was hoping he chased her.

  •  Saw this funny Dandelion Puff Cloud in the sky last week.  
  • We've been pondering downsizing to a single story house and have been to a few open houses.  A memorable one was described by the realtors holding the showing (who were sitting on chairs outside on the opposite side of the street), as "belonging to a collector married to a hoarder".  Their daughter had come to clear out the house but brought her menagerie with her, including tarantulas in cages, ferrets, dogs, and guinea pigs. The inside of the house was very cluttered and dirty, including the carpet, the walls, and the ceilings. There was a huge radio antenna on the roof and video cameras all around the outside of the house.   The low price didn't outweigh these red flags!
  •  Oops, "that don't go there"--when your leader-ender hitchhikes....
  • At a CVS store recently I was looking at their dried fruit snacks. A package of dried Fuji Apple slices was on sale for $3.06, down from $3.99.  That sounded pretty good until I checked the weight of the package, which was one ounce "net weight".  That would make the apple slices $63.84 a pound!!  I googled "how to dry apple slices" when I got home.  Did you know you can do this in your microwave?
  • Finally, daughter Erica sent pics of a friend's son receiving the quilt I made for him.  Her comment was, "Trying to get a picture of a 1 year old on a quilt is hard".  
  I disguised his face with a smiley emoji on this pic...


...but didn't need to on this pic!  Those are his daddy's feet in the pic, not Erica's, FYI :)

4 comments:

Lee said...

These put a smile on my face, recognizing much irony, humor, frustration, and 'oh my' moments.
We've noticed a lot of the mosquito hawks too, aka crane flies, and was so disappointed a couple years ago to find out that seemingly have NO purpose whatsoever other than to be annoying and to tease my kitties when they barge through any opened door!

Janet O. said...

It has been a while since we have had an "orts" posting. Very fun read.
Love the "I can't get these off, " comment. :)
We have plenty of mosquitoes, but I have never heard of mosquito hawks. I'll have to look them up and see what the little creatures look like.
Love the photos of the little guy loving his quilt. I used to think little kids wouldn't be excited to get a quilt, but I have watched my own grandchildren enough times dancing on or rolling in their new quilt with joy. It is special to them.

Louise said...

I'm impressed that the photo of the little guy isn't blurry! So fun to see a quilt in use like that :)

Tanya said...

I get leaders/enders hitch hikers too...

Don't know what mosquito hawks are. We sure have the mosquitoes!

The patients that come to the doctor not willing to take his/her advice? The doctors would probably unanimously say that I am one of those pesky patients. "Mrs. Watanabe, you need to take cholesterol medicine." "No thank you. I'll do things my own way..." Why do I bother going to the doctor!?

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...