Wednesday, May 22, 2019

More Sewing

After our busy family weekend with the newlyweds' celebrations--to be detailed in a separate post--I got back to the sewing room to play with pieces and parts for more Chunky Churn Dash blocks for my Dad's quilt (free Pattern by Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville).

I'm having so much fun with all my scraps and rail sets.  Shirtings, dots, plaids, traditional and brights all play together. 

This one had to have repeat surgery--I sewed the top row on upside-down not once but twice!

I like to sew them up in batches of six blocks, makes it easy to lay them out on the cutting mat and not have to spend too much time sitting to sew or standing to iron. I'm probably going to use blue and cream for the hourglass alternate blocks--my Dad likes blue. Bonnie's design calls for 60 Churn Dash blocks, 61 alternate hourglass blocks, and she has three borders to make the quilt finish just under 80" square.  I may just add more blocks and eliminate the two narrow borders.

The rain was falling to the northeast and there was some thunder and a few drops of rain this afternoon.  I took this photo after lunch hour. 

The leading edge sure made the sky beyond so blue. While we worried that rain would spoil the wedding reception, the terrible weather predictions for other parts of the country soon played out.   My sympathies to all those who have been flooded or had tornado strike damagest, the pictures on the news are devastating. 

4 comments:

Janet O. said...

Your blocks are looking good!
Oh, I have done that before--unpicked a boo-boo, only to do it all over again. Maddening!
Glad you had good weather for the reception.
We had horrible winds last night--people lost shingles, trees, trampolines, patio furniture--but nothing like a tornado hit!

Louise said...

I love the Chunky Churndash pattern! Your blocks look great :)

Kate said...

Your Dad's quilt is moving along. It's been rough for the midwest, thankfully we've not gotten the worst in the state. But there's definitely water, water, every where!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Your blocks are looking great; a mistake is not truly a mistake until it is repeated!! Ha! I do that all the time too. Arrgh. Thank goodness the weather held off for your wedding festivities; looking forward to your next posts regarding the happy occasion. Much congrats to you and your family on this loving and memorable day!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...