Friday, July 26, 2019

Scraps and Piecing

For relaxation sewing after the Fair Entry frenzy, I turned to my Log Cabin Loonies project box for some scrappy fun.  Julie from JulieKQuilts blog started this sewalong last August and I jumped in, happy to have a place to use all the 1.5" wide scraps.  That is the smallest size I save, but Julie made her blocks from 1" strips.  


So many great fabrics there.  I see my contrast isn't the best in some of them, but  in the quilt the humble blocks will go!  I planned an 8x10 block quilt but these Loonie Log Cabins keep multiplying as leader-enders and I'm not sure when the scraps will give out.  My blocks finish at an odd size of 7.5" but it won't matter when they're all sewn together. 

Cutting for the alternate hourglass block also got done for the Chunky Churndash quilt, using Bonnie Hunter's Essential Triangle tool.  I paired up strips cut to 3.5" wide and was able to get 10 triangles out of this, which makes 5 blocks.  

Mini is always helping hold things down for me :)  I'm liking the gray/brown neutral look.

Turning the hourglass block forms a square around the  Churndashes.  I'll try to keep the contrast strong between the background neutrals during the layout phase.  Lots more cutting and sewing to do before then, however.  Mini approves so far! 

5 comments:

Kate said...

You've making great progress on both projects. A scrappy log cabin is still on my bucket list. It will be fun to watch yours come together.

Loris said...

Mini is a very sweet looking quilt helper :-) Your making great progress. I like the hourglass block in there.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Love your log cabins and hourglass blocks. Hourglass blocks make great alternate blocks - they give the illusion of an on-point setting without all of the work - ;))

Janet O. said...

I like when the values get a little bit "iffy" in scrap quilts. Makes them look much more "make do", and that is what a scrap quilt is all about.
You have two great scrap projects in the works here. And I really like using the hourglass blocks in that way to frame your alternating blocks.
Mini has posing for the camera down pat!

Barb said...

great looking blocks and Mini is such a cute cat!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...