Monday, October 7, 2019

Design Wall Monday--10/7/19

Just under the wire for Design Wall Monday--see more Design Walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.  She gave me a shout-out for suggesting a name for an apple core doll quilt she is making, so sweet.  Thanks, Judy!

I did play with the orange scraps shown last week and made a pumpkin block from the cover quilt of APQ magazine's  October 2019 issue, Fall Dash by Sherri McConnell. 


The brown fabric was from a fat quarter, but all the rest was from the scraps and strips drawers.  I cut out a bunch of small squares to make the other block version of a pumpkin but it isn't finished yet.  

Hubby and I got away for a short vacation last week--a rare occurrence indeed.  We scored a room at a lovely hotel right on the oceanfront in Cambria, CA.  Off season pricing and no crowds, no fog, and no heavy traffic--it was terrific. I brought the never-ending blackwork embroidery to work on, and a free pattern I printed out from Lizzie Kate. With all the embroidery floss I have, none of the charted colors were in my stash. There was a yarn shop in Cambria and luckily they carried Anchor floss as well. 
The pre-mounted cross stitch blanks are so great.  I got a small start on Cozy Christmas Wishes.  Ball&Skein and More is a lovely little shop that has lots of samples and supplies for knitting and crochet, so great to find in this tiny town.


Coming home on a Friday leaves a whole weekend to play before having to go back to work. I did actually finish the Blackwork embroidery!  The four panels are now ready to be trimmed and framed together with CW prints in a small quilt. 

Daughter Elaine asked if I'd like to help her decorate their new home for Halloween after grandson Cove's soccer game on Saturday.


Grandson Hunter started with this box, haha!  We made a trip to Michael's and I bought foam sheets to make googly eyes for the shrubs in front of the house, while Elaine hung cobwebs and ghosts.

Next post, I'll share some of our vacation adventures. Happy October!

5 comments:

Sherrill said...

So I know who's in the box now but what WAS in the box? Looks very cute (as is the current occupant). Love your pumpkin in a churn dash; I've been working on Halloween row by rows and Bonnie Hunter's pumpkin table runner.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Halloween decorating has reached new heights eveywhere! :) Your pumpkin churn dash is just precious; oh, how I love hand embroidery too. Yours is inspiring, I always carry some with me when traveling. Have a great week!

Loris said...

Love the pumpkin churn dash. So much inspiration out there for orange right now. I pulled fabric out and thought...then got back to work on the Bonnie quilt I'm working on and put it all back away. Maybe next time ;-)
So glad you got to enjoy our coast a bit. We have been having some lovely days...the fog however is thick again this morning! Good timing for your stay!

Janet O. said...

Very cute pumpkin churn dash. I just barely got the patriotic decor put away, but haven't made any progress on fall or Halloween.
I look forward to seeing the blackwork pieces assembled.
Boxes make the best playthings. That could serve as Hunter's costume, with a couple of eye holes. :)

Kate said...

Very cute block and cute shot of Hunter. Why do they like the boxes so much? The Halloween decorating sounds like fun. Looking forward to seeing how that turned out.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...