Monday, September 30, 2019

Design Wall Monday--last day of September 2019

On my design surfaces are projects in play, and a squirrel or two...  See more Design Walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts

The Newlyweds' Dreamcatcher quilt is the project in play in the background.  I completed three more rows and have 13 left to sew, so its halfway done!  There was some surgery and switcheroo needed when I got the squares out of order again, but that was easily repaired. 

One squirrel project is due to the sudden cooler weather, finally below 80s here in the daytime and last night dipped below 60 degrees--I needed a throw quilt over my side of the bed. That brought thoughts of Fall decorating and a quilt by Sherri McConnell in the latest issue of APQ magazine.  She used Fig Tree scraps; I'm pulling from scraps and stash.  I'll make a small wallhanging or mini quilt from one block.  She used triple sashing in two colors for her design and that sounds fun too. 

Obviously I am still stuck on Churn Dash designs :) and have made progress on the baby quilt I've been making 9 patch blocks for as leader-enders while sewing Dreamweaver rows. 


The third row is assembled but not yet sewn to the others.  Good thing I got a start on this, as I received a baby shower invite for October for mommy-to-be.  Two more rows yet to assemble before backing and binding are made.

Another squirrel popped up when I got thinking about a speaker we had a Guild this month. She accepted all the baby quilts made so far, and mentioned a Christmas Shop put on by local government for disadvantaged families.  She noted that handmade items such as quilts are always the first to go from the shop, which is open for weeks before Christmas, and suggested doll quilts.  I had a stack of four patches that finish at two inches and quickly sewed up a bunch. 


I just noticed in this pic that despite my efforts to avoid it there are a couple of "humble" patches that got turned, but they will stay!

8 comments:

Loris said...

Well, your churn dash blocks are looking great and I'm really enjoying what you are putting together for the Fall version. I'm enjoying this cooler weather too as it feels like Fall :-)
I'm always amazed at my own humble block twists. Even when I pay special attention and double check....there they are!

julieQ said...

What pretty fabrics for a pumpkin quilt!!! I really like your churn dash variation.

Sherrill said...

I just picked up that magazine yesterday and fell in love with that quilt plus a couple others. I should know by now that magazines always get me in trouble!! Maybe this one can be ready for next year (for me, I mean!).

Churn Dash said...

Love the churn dash blocks, blue is my favourite colour.

Love the idea of small doll quilts I might see if I can make some for the sale that my group does to raise funds for the library.

Helen

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

As always, lovely show and tell from you today! I love the low volume prints that you're using for the newlyweds quilt~ do you have a Dream Catcher pattern that you're following? The pumpkin project is inspiring.

Janet O. said...

I love all things churn dash, so you can never do too much with it, in my humble opinion.
That looks like a really fun project for fall--gotta love that little piece of raccoon fabric. So cute (if they aren't real raccoons getting in your corn patch).
I like your doll quilt. In its happy busy-ness no one will know about a turned patch here or there.

Kate said...

Love your plans for a fall quilt, that apple is pretty cute. The baby quilt is looking good. Doesn't it feel nice to be ahead of the game? Hope you get in lots of stitching this week and make good progress on everything.

Tanya said...

It is cooling off around here too but will probably be too cold for any of my quilts. (No heating in the bedroom). Still I wish I had a fall quilt for my bed.

You have so many nice things going on! I’d better get back to my sewing room!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...