On my design wall is the applique for the Dream Weaver quilt I'm making for my son and daughter-in-law. I got the next round of applique pieces cut and began piecing them. There was some frustration with this Jen Kingwell Designs pattern is it lacks instructions for lining up the ring pieces as well as pressing directions. I seldom work with templates and my dearth of experience showed in the size difference of some of my traced and cut pieces.
There was a bit of sliver surgery performed on multiple pieces. The appeal of kits with precut pieces definitely is understandable, though the prices can be scary high. The piecing was slow and required multiple uses of the seam ripper. Initially I was pressing the seams open, but found that pressing one direction was better for nesting the seams.
I did not redo the partial ring pieces pressed open! I had a surprisingly easier time sewing this ring to the center ring. Lots of pins helped, as suggested by the quilt's designer, Michelle McKillop.
Making it lie flat took spray starch, pressing, and pinning to the ironing board for some minutes. The next ring is of larger triangles in two widths. I'll add some different solids and prints to that ring. My DIL will need to decide on the center circle applique fabric before too long.
Tomorrow is the first day of the Meadowland Quiltalong and I am ready to start cutting. I double checked my fat quarters today and pulled solid Kona White for the background. On Instagram I saw there were some hints on Ev Quilts & Co for sewing the flying geese with directional prints, of which I will have several! She also has a post on cutting larger setting squares for the background and alternate assembly of the blocks in rows rather than squares.
Looking forward to getting all the cutting done for the 16 block throw size. #MeadowlandQAL