Saturday, February 15, 2020

Sewing Room is Humming

There has been plenty of stitching going on in the sewing room.  I am working on several things at once--a habit I cannot seem to tame!  First up is the Meadowland Quiltalong hosted by the designer,  Meghan of Then Came June.  I showed my fabrics last post and have been having so much fun sewing these big blocks from the We Whisk You a Merry Christmas collection (Maywood Studio).

The first five blocks went together fairly easily, though I did have a struggle with one of the directional fabric prints.  Since it is a text print, I wanted the words to all be in the same orientation.  There was a little surgery and recutting triangles, but not too much drama....that came later when I decided to add another color print from the fat quarter collection for more variety.   I blithely cut out squares for the flying geese "sky" corners without consulting the pattern...naturally I cut them too small. 

I was able to rescue myself by using Bonnie Hunter's Essential Triangle Tool to cut more geese and HSTs from the fat quarter scraps.  I am happy with the pink brightening up the darker prints. Since I chose to piece by row instead of constructing full blocks, the background white fabric squares are missing yet.

I'm up to 11 blocks and will have an extra to choose for my 16 block layout. They look pretty good stacked next to each other too.


 Pink and red block for Valentine's Day :)

Our Guild is having a block party this year and we are making X-Plus blocks to turn in and hopefully win others.   I couldn't stop at one!


Three very disparate blocks from scraps and stash.  The purple one required surgery twice--this pic is before I noticed the right lower corner orientation did not match the others.  I took off the corner and had to completely recut and resew it.  More surgery for poor lining up of the top and bottom edges was required, but eventually it came out right. I didn't win this month's block lotto, but will sew up some more to play next month.  

Meanwhile, I have been working on the next round of the Dreamweaver quilt for my son and daughter in law but it is currently in Timeout as the points are not coming out correctly.  No photo of that mess.  Sigh.

Last weekend daughter Erica asked me to check on her kitten, Bruce, as she wanted to stay another night out of town with her boyfriend.  I arrived at her house and observed a plant murder had taken place. 


I had to remove the pot to the garage and do some clean up.  Bruce eventually came out from under her bed and ate and drank.  He's shy so I didn't try to pet him at first.--just played for a bit.  He's also quick so hard to photograph! 
Bruce is 3-4 months old now and has classic Tabby markings and green eyes. I was able to get a few pets in toward the end of my visit, and he almost climbed onto my lap from the coffee table--at least one paw was on my knee!  Hopefully he'll get used to me as I'm sure more kitten sitting opportunities will arise :)

3 comments:

Janet O. said...

Your QAL blocks look really good in that fun fabric grouping. Glad you could save the miscuts.
The X-Plus blocks look great. I have seen X blocks and Plus blocks, but I like this combination of the two.
Oh, that poor prayer plant! Sounds like a frisky kitty. :)

Barb said...

Naughty Bruce....it is good that you checked on on him....(smiling here)

Love your blocks.

Tanya said...

How nice that the kitty is getting a lot of love and care... even if he is shy and a bit naughty!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...