Monday, May 25, 2020

Weekend Sewing--Design Wall Monday

See more Design Walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

It's been a quiet Memorial Day, I spent most of it in the sewing room doing a lot of cleanup.  The scrap drawers saw a lot of activity this past week when I was cutting for a Plaidish Quilt. 


The pattern is free on the Kitchen Table Quilting blog by Erica Jackman, with a tutorial here.    It uses more medium value fabrics than dark or light, which suits my stash well. She has introduced a second Plaidish 2  quilt just recently which utilizes a lot more light fabrics.  Lights seem to be hard to keep stocked in my sewing room!  I'm making a 6x8 version of her pattern, which is block-based so you can make it whatever size you like.  I'm looking forward to a lot of plaid piecing in my future.  

Meanwhile, in between Telehealth visits last week I assembled all the rows to the Cross My Heart tablerunner for my brother. The full size quilt is in Kim Brackett's Scrap Basket Beauties book.  


I got a lot of exercise picking up and sewing all the rows and setting triangles.  Another task crossed off the list today was choosing backing fabrics for the runner. 

The cutting table got cleared of all the assorted scraps and strips that get thrown in a basket as I cut, fat quarters and larger scraps went to their drawers, and I stuffed more yardage in the groaning tubs under the table.  Good thing the only fabric related purchases I made recently had specific projects attached to them :)

Our son and daughter-in-law came over Saturday for a socially distant lunch they picked up; we sat at opposite ends of the 6 foot patio table, lol.  Our future grandson is poking out a bit more, only 3 months to go.  They had a virtual baby shower and DIL Ashley was very excited for a particular item we purchased from her registry--a baby-wipe warmer.  I wish such a thing had existed when our kids were babies! 


A friend gave her a nice rocking chair, which she repainted, but the cushion covers were quite worn and she asked me to make some new ones--the old ones are pictured on the table.  We are getting very excited about having a new baby in the family again.  Meanwhile, there was great progress on the Dreamweaver quilt I started for them a year ago when they got married (pattern by Jen Kingwell Designs).

I was finally able to pick up my Superbuzzy fabric order on Friday, after a week's wait, and made the bias tape from a 3/4 yd cut of Kona Jade fabric.  I only needed to make one join for the medallion.  After I took this pic I looked at the pattern again and realized the streamers were too wide and needed to be adjusted to 1/2" wide.  My version of the quilt is much larger than the original and I changed the disappearing 9 patch background to simple patchwork.  Many prepared applique leaves and circles will be fused and stitched along the streamers.  Lots more time needed to cross this off the list!

5 comments:

Nann said...

The dark/sage green RSC has been a challenge for some participants -- evidently not for you! The chunky plus blocks show off the colors so well.
Congratulations on the baby-to-be! Hopefully when he arrives some of the hospital visitation restrictions will be eased.

Loris said...

The new mom is looking healthy and happy. What could be better :-)
Your quilty projects are looking good! I've got that Plaidish on my future quilt list. I love the versions I've seen of it.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Congrats on your grandson to be! Socially distanced luches and the like are wonderful ways of staying connected to family-- we've done that a few times in the last several weeks. The Dream Weaver quilt is absolutely spectacular! I love that table runner, too; what a great pattern! Stay well~

Tanya said...

How exciting planning for another baby in the family!

I am very interested in the notebook you have there by your Pladish Quilt. How do you use it? Do you document every step? And drawing it out it! Sounds complicated but I have been wishing I had done more recording of my quilts in progress...

Kate said...

You had a great weekend of stitching. Love the Dreamweaver Quilt! That's going to be gorgeous. Looking forward to seeing your scrappy plaid quilt come together. I have one of those on my bucket list (after I finish more UFOs).

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...