Monday, June 1, 2020

Design Wall Monday--Dreamweaver progress.

Design Wall Monday starts a new month.  See more Design Walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

The Dreamweaver quilt top laid untouched all week on the cutting table; I was stalling on adding the "spokes" of the dreamweaver after making the bias tape last weekend (pattern by Jen Kingwell Designs).  Finally, late Saturday evening, it was time.  Just moving the quilt top to the sewing machine helped motivate me to keep going.  I stay stitched all the quilt patchwork edges and then played more with the spokes and leaf appliques I have made so far

It was fun to see all the great colors and prints on the background squares. I chose a light blue 40 wt thread from a collection that has been in the stash for a couple of years.  I think I won it at Sewtopia New Orleans, as I remember someone needing the light apricot spool to finish a project.


 Aurifil thread has such a great sheen.  These are smaller spools but the thread is fine.


My Husqvarna machine likes Aurifil thread, too.  The pattern instructions advised to leave openings for the bias strips, but since I was machine sewing and not hand sewing like the pattern, I first sewed the inside edge of the bias tape down with a tiny buttonhole stitch. 



Michelle McKillop's pattern cover photo of this quilt was my inspiration for the spoke placement.  Since the middle one was straight, it was easy to sew down.  Best choice for late night stitching!

Next morning the remaining spokes were measured, gently curved and pinned in place, buttonhole stitched, and then the outer edge of the medallion was closed.


My daughter-in-law was pleased with photos of the progress on her quilt.  About this time last year I was buying a lot of light prints on a shop hop with my sister for the background squares.  A lot more applique leaves and circles will be cut this week as time allows.  Happy with the progress at this point!


5 comments:

Loris said...

This really is a work of art! It's going to be beautiful and cherished. Lovely work!

Janet O. said...

Every time you share the progress on this quilt I am in awe! It is so gorgeous. The buttonhole stitching looks like it was meant to be made that way.

Tanya said...

Ooh. It looks so clean and crisp! The stitches on the bias are beautiful too!

Kate said...

Dreamweaver is looking gorgeous. What a great pick for a wedding quilt.

Judy Hansen said...

It is coming along nicely. Can’t wait to see it with all the leaves. Beautiful!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...