Saturday, July 4, 2020

No Clever Title

The redundancy of using "update" on every other post is getting boring!  Yes, I'm still sewing nearly every day, yes squirrels pop up often.

There has been good progress on Dreamweaver, along with frustrations. I spent a long evening auditioning and making more applique pieces for the streamers, using Steam a Seam fusible product. 


Some smaller circles and layered shapes fleshed out the design.  I was able to group similar fabrics on several of the stems. 


I left the appliques overnight but didn't end up making any changes the next morning before heating up the iron to fuse down the pieces.  It was quite a chore to peel off the backing papers and reposition everything the same way; I'd taken separate photos of each streamer to guide me.  I removed all the pieces before moving the quilt top to the ironing board, and replaced them as I moved on to pressing the applique pieces on each streamer.  My idea was to use 40 wt thread to add some stitching to each leaf/circle after all the fusing was finishe.  Despite the description on the Steam a Seam packaging, the adhesive DID gum up the needle and caused thread breaks.  After a frustrating attempt to clean the needle with an alcohol wipe, a change of needle size and thread weight to finer strand, the thread continued to break.  The packaging claims no edge finish is needed once fused, but I'm not sure I trust that.  Perhaps after washing I can try stitching the edges again.  In the meantime, the backing is ready to be assembled and I have batting on hand. 

While cleaning up the Hoosier cabinet's table, I pulled out a box with finished log cabin blocks from last year.  These were from Julie's Log Cabin Loonies sew along.  I made mine with 1.5" strips and they will finish at the odd size of 7.5".


Mini supervised the layout tries, as usual.


I had found a sort of star layout online  here which I pinned a couple of years ago.  However, after laying out my very scrappy blocks, I did not feel they had high enough contrast for this layout  A search on the Katy Quilts blog for a finished quilt in this layout was nonproductive.  There are endless ways to set log cabin blocks, of course.  I think this next one is called Light and Dark. 


I think it works better for my scrappy blocks, do you?  I have a total of 80 blocks to play with so they went back in the box for now...I've got a bunch of quilting to do!

8 comments:

julieQ said...

OH I love your log cabin blocks!! They are so versatile! Your applique draws me in, just so very pretty and low volume. Enjoy your day!

Loris said...

Your Dreamweaver is really looking beautiful! I hope you find a way to deal with the adhesive woes. I'm sure that does make a challenge for thread to survive.
The star layout looks interesting but your next choice does seem more of crisp design. It will be beautiful either way!

sandi s said...

I love the second picture of you log cabin layout! It’s very pretty. Hugs,

Janet O. said...

I admire your tenacity and patience in creating that beautiful Dreamweaver quilt. I fear if one of my kids had asked for that quilt I would still be laughing.
Looking at the star layout you pinned on Katy's blog, I didn't feel like her blocks were any less scrappy than yours. Did you try the second layout on her post? I thought that star stood out more. Just MHO. :)

Tanya said...

Yes, I like the light and dark layout too... (the second one). Those log cabins are so pretty!

Kate said...

Dreamweaver is looking good. Sorry the applique is giving you such fits. Hopefully it all works out in the end. Your light and dark setting for the log cabin blocks works well. Hope you get in some good stitching time this weekend.

Quilter Kathy said...

I don't think there is a "wrong" answer here! The blocks are beautiful and any layout will be great... I love both of these!

Judy Hansen said...

I do like the light and dark layout very much. I have a log cabin quilt in my UFOs to work on i. the future. You are inspiring me to get it out and work on it.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...