Monday, July 13, 2020

Design Wall Monday-Hearts and My Lupine Heaven

It's Design Wall Monday.  See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

I felt like piecing rather than quilting on a hot day, and pulled out a couple of projects, one of which is a doll quilt from trimmings of 30s prints from another quilt; I had already sewn the HSTs into four patches.


I thought the HSTs looked like a heart set this way, and used a couple of 2" wide strips to lengthen the little quilt and feature the heart row. This will be finished for guild donation. 


A few leftover sets will make a cute start to a mug rug or bookmark.  I intended to make three hearts but the butterfly insisted on being included.  I don't mind :)

Still avoiding the Dreamweaver quilting job occupying the cutting table, I pulled out another project box needing piecing.  I took a class with Bonnie Hunter two years ago (just looked it up, yikes!) for her My Blue Heaven quilt, a free pattern on her blog.  I last worked on some of the star blocks in January, but had a lot of pieces cut and ready to sew.  My version has two color groups and I'm calling it My Lupine Heaven.  We get splashes of pretty purple lupine here after the winter rains, but it doesn't last long in SoCal. 


Revisiting my notes and checking the box, I was happy to find that all of the center blocks are finished and the border hourglass blocks started.  More cutting was required but soon I had a bunch of pieces ready to feed through the sewing machine.  I used Bonnie's specialty Essential Triangle Tool  to cut out the QSTs, which I purchased at the class.  For my smaller version, a 6x8 setting, I need 64 of the border hourglass blocks, which are separated from the center blocks by a plain border (not yet cut).


This is looking good!  Somehow the outer hourglass blocks seem to tame the busyness of the star blocks, and I think the plain border will too.  A lot more cutting is in my future as I have exhausted the 2 1/2" green strips from the precut scrap drawer.  I also have cut up a bunch of scraps for Bonnie's 2020 Leader-Ender project--a triangle free chain block she is calling Easy Breezy.  Mine will be the 6" finished size, she also offers a 4" finished size.


I had fun picking out colored 2" strips from the scrap drawers and cutting up odds and ends for the light rectangles. These can be set many ways--I may use a two color hourglass block as I did for the Chunky Churndash quilt (another free Bonnie pattern), it's such a great fool-the-eye framing trick. 


Now I really do need to get the quilting finished on Dreamweaver!





6 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Lots of lovely show and tells from you today! The Lupine project is sweet and serene. I do love the way those hourglass blocks combine with scrappy pieced blocks to frame things up and add a cohesive over-all look. Your teeny HSTs are so very cute! Well done~ have a great week!

Loris said...

Lovely progress! I remember being envious when you got to take your Bonnie Hunter class. I was fortunate to be able to follow suit the next year. What a fun memory! I sewed her Emerald City and Straits of Mackinac from the classes. I learned a lot! Your Lupine Heaven is going to be beautiful!

Janet O. said...

So many fun projects to distract you from the quilting on Dreamweaver.
I love the hourglass blocks for settings, too. Looks like they would fit in nicely on Easy Breezy.

Dresden Quilter said...

Your projects are great. I like the idea of the hearts with the small triangles and the colours you chose for your My Lupine Heaven.

Judy Hansen said...

I love your little doll quilt with the heart. Perfect! Also, I enjoyed looking at all your beautiful green hourglasses. I find that I don’t have enough greens in my stash, so I liked looking at all your pretty greens. Thanks for linking with Design Wall Monday, and showing us your work.

Tanya said...

You always have so much going on! How do you ever make time for all your pretty projects? I feel like a turtle compared to your output!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...