Monday, August 17, 2020

Design Wall Monday--August 17, 2020

For Design Wall Monday, see more Design Walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.

I finally have a finished cushion cover to share.  This has been a difficult project my son volunteered me for--I am really not an upholsterer!  The glider will be rocking our grandson-soon-to-be-born, so of course I am pushing through.

 

This is the simplest piece of the glider, the ottoman cushion.  It is far from perfect but will hopefully hold up with the lining and Velcro closure. The chair seat cushion pieces I cut out and had lined did not cooperate and the interfacing began to come loose.  I took it all off and will use fabric instead to line the looser woven print fabric which frays like a nightmare. The hardest cover is for the chair back, due to wonky pieces I cut not matching when placed right sides together to sew.  I have had to trim quite a bit of the already lined pieces and will have to add a gusset to make up for the change.  Luckily there is enough of the shower curtain fabric to do so.  The gusset will also have to be lined.  Sigh. Luckily I still have three days to get them made.

Other sewing for baby on my list is the pee pee teepee project.  Try saying that three times fast!

Two prototypes there in the back, using scraps from the Dreamweaver quilt.  I first cut the template too large and it resulted in a horseshoe crab shape rather than a teepee.  These are lined with a microfiber cloth.  The one on the right was even more wonky but I overlapped the excess section and that made it stand up straighter.  I started with a 6" circle and interfaced the one on the right.  Hopefully third time will be the charm with the Finding Dory fabrics. I prewashed the fabric to prevent shrinkage.  

Isn't this the cutest octopus?  He was outrageously expensive but so so soft and sweet for baby.  Company is Jellycat and I found it at my local fabric store--they also sell a lot of gift items for home.

 

Other necessary sewing was a curtain for our kitchen's garden window which faces east.  It has been very hot recently and the sun beats in for many hours.  This is a shower curtain redo.  I wish the hooks were shorter, as the rod did not fit through the buttonhole slits for them as I'd hoped, which of course I discovered AFTER cutting the shower curtain and hemming.  I'll try washing it and hoping it shrinks!

4 comments:

Churn Dash said...

It took me a little while to workout what the teepees were for!! Now I feel a little silly.

I hope your curtain shrinks, if you didn't want it to it would.

I did some upholstery when I was a student. I never want to do it again. I wish you well.

Helen

Janet O. said...

I've never had a shower curtain that DIDN'T shrink, so I hope you have that same luck on yours.
If not, you might try the curtain rings and clips like I use to hang mini quilts. They would definitely bring the curtain up a bit higher.
That Octopus is awfully cute.
I applaud you for sticking with the upholstery job. If my son had asked me to do that, I know a good upholsterer I would call and just hire them to do the work for me. :)

Kate said...

Redoing chair cushions and such isn't fun. I did that for My Guy's hideous orange office chair that he absolutely will not replace. You've made good progress on all the baby sewing. Thanks for showing the PeePee Teepees, I was really curious as to what those looked like.

Tanya said...

I so love your octopus!!! And I'm afraid I'm not sure what a Pee Pee Teepee is. Please explain!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...