Saturday, August 15, 2020

Reminiscing and Stitching

I have been looking back on my years of blogging, enjoying old posts and missing some of the early commenters and friends who were so encouraging to a newby blogger, and thankful for the many who still visit and share!  10 years ago I was moving out of the first dedicated sewing room I had, when our older daughter moved out, our younger daughter changed bedrooms, and our son moved back in.  

 

Back to the downstairs family room, and sharing it with my husband's music equipment--he was deep into playing in a band in those days. Can you believe how much we crammed in?  I had no fabric downstairs at that time, other than the project boxes in the Hoosier.

 

 At that point I was still using my husband's childhood metal desk for sewing and waiting on a big, very exciting delivery--no, not the baby kind, the furniture kind. 

Here Nick is earning his keep by helping put together my new sewing desk, a Bertha by Arrow Cabinets, which has seen so many creations travel across its top over the last decade.  Recently big cracks developed in two of the plastic drawer door bins.  Replacements are pretty expensive, mostly due to shipping costs, but after 10 years and no problems with this desk I will fork over the $40--after a bit of a balk!  I shared my first sewing days on the new desk HERE.  How time flies...now I'm working on cushion covers for a glider for Nick's wife Ashley, as they will hold their son by end of next week after a scheduled C-section. Baby did not turn on his own and an external version was unsuccessful. Dad and Mom get to stay in the hospital together with baby for three days after delivery.  I think that's wonderful.

The yellowed cotton fabric definitely needed replacing.  Ashley chose this nice patterned one--I had had her buy a shower curtain to use as they come in lots of patterns, the fabric is wide, and many are pretty inexpensive. This one is a looser weave due to some polyester content so I am lining the pieces.

I'll also be sewing up some PeePee Teepees this week.  Baby boys, you know!  Wish I'd had some way back when...:)

6 comments:

Darlene said...

That was a fun post! I've been reading your blog since you started blogging! So many changes!

Mcirishannie f/k/a quilt til you wilt said...

So fun looking back at old posts. Been following for many years. Not blogging anymore but appreciate the ladies like you that “keep on keeping on”!

Cindy Quilts said...

I recently have been reading your blog. I found you through the Polka Dot Chicken. Anyway, congratulations on the new baby. I went through the same thing with a failed external version and scheduled C-section. It's nice both parents will be able to be together with the baby.
And, I also use a Hoosier to store my quilting projects!
Good luck with the glider update. It will get a lot of use!

Janet O. said...

You and hubby had tight working quarters for your hobbies.
I had honestly never heard of PeePee TeePees, but they sound like a great idea!

Kate said...

Seems that several of us hit the 10 year mark of having a blog this year. It is fun to go back and see what was going on at the start. Though it is a bit of a shock when I think how old the SIT was at that point. Enjoy the baby sewing stuff. I have to admit the PeePee Teepees are new to me too. Though I guess since we only had the one girl maybe that's not surprising.

Tanya said...

I wonder when I started visiting your blog? It seems quite a long while now. I hope all goes well with the baby's birth! Never had a c-section so I don't know how quickly the mother bounces back after one.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...