Monday, August 24, 2020

Design Wall Monday-Piecing and Upholstery

 It's Design Wall Monday.  See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

First, the most recent piecing, a couple of Easy Breezy leader-ender blocks (free pattern on Quiltville.com). These are so fun to stitch, and triangle free.   They were a welcome break from the ongoing upholstery task.  

I've got a lot of scraps precut for 6" finished blocks, and a few sets matched up for further piecing hours. The next piecing project will be assembling my version of Bonnie's My Blue Heaven quilt, started in her class in 2017. I got the last of the outer border hourglass blocks cut and made.  

I have mostly used green and yellow-green in the quilt so decided to add a little teal and mint for variety in the outer border. Lots of layout and switcheroo for this quilt, another free pattern on Quiltville.

Most of my stitching time the past week--and a lot of my stalling time--was devoted to the glider cushion covers for our daughter-in-law.  Now that grandson Dane has arrived, she'll be spending a lot of hours sitting there--and so will son Nick, I imagine :).  I finally took the last stitch in the seat cushion late Sunday afternoon--it's in the middle of the three below.

They are not the most professionally finished cushion covers, but I used enough stitches to hopefully make them last a long while. The seat back has the ties, the seat bottom is in the middle, and the ottoman cushion closest to the camera. I ended up having to add another lined strip to the seat bottom cover, as my pieces were too short to allow turning under for the Velcro closure.

The gusset on the tall cushion turned out a lot better than the added strip on the seat cushion, but that end of the seat will be against the chair back always so I won't worry too much about it!  We got a free COVID test at a drive up County site over the weekend and will get flu shots this week so we can someday hold our grandson! We got some cute videos of him opening his eyes and he may even have a little dimple like his Mimi.

It was very hot and humid Sunday in our non-airconditioned house.  I stepped outside in the early evening when it began to cool off.  The sky was amazing. I don't know what kind of clouds these are.

The sliver moon was still visible between the clouds.  Can you find it in the top third of the pic?

To the South, smoke appeared to be drifting low, out to the ocean. This was maybe from the Hughes Lake Fire about 50 miles northeast of us. 

I went outside about 10 minutes later and got this pic looking southeast.  If you look closely, there is a tiny black speck of a plane above the house on the right. 




4 comments:

maggie fellow said...

I'm still working on shoofly. I don't think I have started my blue heaven. There were several blue ones from Bonnie about the same time, and I get them confused.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

You stay so busy, everything looks great; I applaud your dedication to the cushion covers. Congrats on Dane's arrival, what wonderful news!! :)

Kate said...

Congrats on getting the seat covers finished. That's a lot of work, but they'll be well appreciated. Looking forward to seeing your Blue Heaven quilt come together.

Tanya said...

Great job on the upholstery. I could never do any sewing so advanced!
I have so many scraps that really should get organized and put into one of Bonnie's patterns. It isn't the doing that slows me down, it is the organizing to do!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...