Friday, September 4, 2020

Gobble Gobble and Log Cabin

As noted on my prior post, I joined a quiltalong by Center Street Quilts on Instagram of her Gobble Gobble Turkey pattern (in Quilts and More Fall 2019 and on her website)  and made good progress over several days in short stretches of time. There was some restitching of seams to make the turkey feather parts line up but overall my piecing was good enough.  I then added the outer borders, thinking to myself as I found the pieces oversized that I had done that on purpose as I blithely trimmed it off.


Hmmmm....Well that doesn't look like an 18 1/2" square pillow front, does it? Gobble went into Timeout until I could muster the energy to remove ALL the border pieces, recut and resew.  It wasn't as painful as I expected, since I had plenty of the background fabric, and I also did some sliver trimming to really make it square and true. 

That's better!  Next week we are to layer and quilt the front; I will copy the channel quilting the maker used.  I've chosen and cut the pillow back pieces, so just need to find a binding.  I may just wait until the pillow is constructed before deciding on that.  It's going to be a fun addition to holiday decorating this year.  It will be a very sad if we aren't  able to gather for Thanksgiving due to COVID :(.   

A boxful of Log Cabin blocks has been waiting for a final setting plan. I made these during Julie's Log Cabin Loonies sewalong in 2018.  Recently on Pinterest I saw a setting I really liked, by Judy Martin, and then another pin with reverse layout.  

These modern churn dash swap blocks need a home too, but would require upsizing to match the log cabins.  Can you see the Friendship Star around the churn dashes?  How about in the reverse setting...

I like them better with the dark half of the log cabin blocks surrounding the alternate block.  I also have a baggie of house blocks made over 10 years ago in a swap with the Quiltbuddies online group, which amazingly matched the odd size of my log cabins at 8" unfinished. 


The house blocks are kind of lost in the dark setting so maybe I would use the light setting.  Always happy to find a dynamic design for traditional blocks.  It will be great to free them from their box; there are many more to add to bring this up to a good sized quilt :)

We're expecting very hot weather in California this weekend--near 100 where I live--let the whining begin for those of us without air-conditioning!  Many counties are closing their beaches to keep crowds from gathering.  Hoping people stay away from our beaches so we can get through this crisis faster. Our numbers are improving and barbershops and hair salons are reopening--my Mom and Dad are looking kind of shaggy and need to see their hair stylist granddaughter.  Maybe Grant and I will make it on her schedule eventually...

1 comment:

Tanya said...

The colorful turkey is so cute!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...