Monday, September 7, 2020

Design Wall Monday--Labor Day 2020

Happy Labor Day to all!    Design Wall Monday is here again.  See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  

I selected 6 alternate blocks for my Log Cabin Loonies quilt from these modern churn dashes with low volume backgrounds, swapped several years ago through Barb's blog.  I made the dark purple one on the lower left.


Happy to have a cooler day today here in SoCal--it was 100 degrees in our area yesterday, and 88 degrees downstairs in our non-airconditioned house when I was cutting and sewing these sashings.  Unfortunately, due to MATH, the sashing had to be recut as I didn't account for two seam allowances and were too narrow.  My revised plan for the Log Cabin Loonies blocks shown last post is to add an additional row of Log Cabin blocks all the way around and call it done. That will make an 8x11 layout finish at 60x82", a nice sized throw.  I likely will not add any borders but can decide that later.  


That's better!  The top will get put together in the next month I hope.  I also spent a lot of time cutting and mixing/matching pieces for Easy Breezy leader-ender blocks.  These are so fun to sew, and triangle free (Bonnie Hunter, Quiltville).

Our son and daughter-in-law brought their 2 week old son to meet his cousins and aunties over the weekend.  

I think they were impressed with how little newborns are! Auntie Erica got first dibs.

The boys' mama, our other daughter Elaine, also got an Auntie cuddle in with Dane.  We'll make another trip up to visit the new family again soon.  Meanwhile, photos and videos give us updates on his growing and changing!

7 comments:

Janet O. said...

I look forward to seeing how these blocks will all come together.
You know, I have made so many cutting mistakes over the years due to miscalculations involving seam allowances. Even now I second guess myself over and over because of past mistakes.
Sweet photos of the new wee one. I am happy to see everyone had their mask on. I am still blown away by how many people think they are so smart to not wear a mask. :(

julieQ said...

Looks like you had a lovely day! Love all of your blocks and look forward to seeing them all sewn together.

Bonnie said...

We've been watching the temps in CA. It just seems so weird to hear LA County at 121 or was it 122! I know it is a huge county but that still is a ridiculous. I love your blocks -- I hope I can remember to check over the next few weeks so I can see the top. Hope the temps are starting to go back to the normal temps...

Tanya said...

How nice that your family can get together even if everyone has to wear masks... I too hear that the temperatures and smoke are making it uncomfortable for Californians recently. Stay safe!

Preeti said...

Oh Annie, thank you for sharing the pictures. A baby is such a bundle of hope and joy. I wish I could hug one and inhale the baby powder smell. Do convey my love and blessings to your precious grandson. Looks like you are having sewing/quilty fun in your studio. Love the pinks/purples. Hope you are far away from the smoke and fire.

Barb said...

Awe what sweet a sweet baby!! Those boys are so cute taking in the little one.
What a great idea to add the strips, it will also help with any variance in the blocks! What a great collection of your low volumes.
Happy Labor Day - so late!

Kate said...

Looks like you've got one more handsome guy in the family. Hope everyone got to have some good cuddles with the new little one. The churn dash blocks turned out nicely. Hope you've gotten in lots of stitching time this week and are far, far away from any fires.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...