Monday, October 12, 2020

Design Wall Monday--10/12/2020

 Design Wall Monday--see more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  

The 50 Shades of Brown quiltalong by Lori of Humble Quilts had the final clue release for the borders  last week.  I wanted to use up more CW scraps and dug around in my bins for pieces that added the colors and quirkiness of the original antique Lori copied.  

This Judy Rothermel fabric has been in the stash a long time!  It felt good to give a strip to the 50 shades little quilt. 

The other border pieces were also pulled from the scraps.  I chose the single corner square fabric to highlight the pink in the center.  This was a quick and fun quiltalong--my outer borders are 2.5" wide.  It is not quilted yet but I'm considering doing some big stitch quilting with perle cotton.  

Still playing in the scraps, I got all the blocks for the Plaid-ish quilt laid out and moved around (free pattern and tutorial on Kitchen Table Quilting).  There was more switcheroo as I sewed the rows; my brilliant plan for pressing for nesting seams didn't quite work out, mostly due to the "medium" blocks being turned in every other row per the pattern layout. 


The quilt is so scrappy that it didn't really matter much, as long as I could space out the fabric repeats enough.

I completely assembled the top half of the quilt; the bottom four rows await final joining.  What a fun method for scrap play.  Erica of Kitchen Table Quilting has made a second version of the free Plaid-ish quilt I'd love to make too!  

My "to be quilted" projects are really piling up.  I have one out to the quilter (Twilight Hopscotch by Kim Diehl) and keep watching for pics of it on their feed (Quilting by David).  Hopefully it will make it to the top of the list soon--tracking shows it arrived in MO on 9/17.   It's a short work week for me as I'm taking a couple of vacation days.  Unfortunately my husband decided to schedule a carpet cleaning so that means I have to disassemble large portions of the family room I use as my sewing room to reveal the floor.  I'll definitely get a lot of steps on the FitBit that day!

9 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

I like your version of the 50 Shades of Brown a lot! Really want to make a Plaidish quilt one of these days, there have been some really wonderful versions created, and yours is coming along beautifully.

The Joyful Quilter said...

50 Shades of Brown AND your Plaidish quilt both came together beautifully!!

Robin said...

I like that you put the pink blocks in the middle. It's not as quirky as the original but my eyes relax when I look at your quilt instead of looking around the edges to see more pink. You put that Judie Rothermel fabric to good use.

Sherrill said...

Ooo, I'm REALLY liking that!! You're doing great and so quick at it!!

Kyle said...

You used lots of fabulous shades of browns!

Tanya said...

You've got me thinking that a Plaidish quilt should be added to my quilts to do list. It is just beautiful!

Kate said...

Love your Plaidish quilt! What a great way to use up some scraps.

Judy Hansen said...

I like your 50 shades of brown quilt is my favorite one. Great job!

Janet O. said...

Your 50 Shades looks great, Annie. I love Judie Rothermel prints. That is one I don't believe I ever owned. There are some of hers I really wish they would reprint--maybe this could be in the mix. :)
I am really liking Plaid-ish!!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...