Monday, October 26, 2020

Design Wall Monday--More Scrappy Play

 Design Wall Monday at Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts--lots of great stitching happening there. 

After a recent whole house carpet cleaning, I reassembled the sewing room and spent some time rearranging and trying to put things out of sight--a difficult task when I have no closet and only one usable wall in the open family room I sew in.  True to form, things exploded almost immediately after that attempt!  I don't remember what prompted the dive into the box of leftover blocks and unfinished smalls, but suddenly I was pulling borders for pumpkin blocks made a year ago, to make into pillow covers. The blocks are about 12".


Younger daughter claimed this pumpkin and I laid out some backing options.  Erica chose the stripe. I added narrow border strips of the same brown fabric as the churndash, to preserve the points as the cover bends around the pillow, not shown in this pic. 

The other pumpkin in a churndash got a wider border of my favorite caramel dot.  It is hard to find this color even in fall, sadly.  Channel quilting just using the edge of the walking foot for spacing. The pillow back has been made and I cut binding from a reddish orange stripe print.  I love decorating for Fall. 

Two more wool applique blocks got their finished.  I had to be really careful on the bottom one when trimming the block to 8.5", as I had not centered it well at all on the background. All of the wool blocks for this BOM will have corner triangles added.  I dug through the project box to see how many I had set aside when they were cut years ago!

These are 2.5" squares in stacks of four and I will get a whole bunch of bonus HSTs when I sew them on the corners.  I cut more than the required 80 so I will have more choices.  I'm thinking I will need to lay out all the blocks, both pieced and wool, to avoid duplicate fabrics touching. But I won't drive myself crazy trying to be perfect about it!


7 comments:

Sherrill said...

I just can't do pillows; tried a few times and was exasperated! What were the pumpkins first intended to be? A quilt, wallhanging? Pillows will be a cute way to put them to use!

Mcirishannie f/k/a quilt til you wilt said...

I love the pumpkins! Great use of odd blocks. I have started making pillow covers as well for the seasons and holidays.

loulee said...

Those pumpkins look like a fin way to use a few scraps.

Barb said...

Love those pumpkin churn dash blocks. What charming pillows they will make!
have fun with your scraps.
Aaahh, clean carpets are so nice but moving everything is a big job!

Janet O. said...

Those are really fun pumpkin blocks, and I think they will be great pillows!
I have learned that I have to cut backgrounds for applique at least a couple inches larger than called for. I never seem to get things centered up well enough and that gives me room to center them after the stitching. I like the muted colors of the project. Has a soft feeling to it.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I love your projects and agree that decorating for fall is so much fun~ the change of seasons is inspiring. I have to admit that I succumbed to temptation and have purchased the Gobble, Gobble pattern for a turkey pillow; yours was just too cute to ignore!

Tanya said...

Such pretty pumpkins! When I start thinking about making a quilt for a season usually the season is almost over!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...