Monday, December 21, 2020

Design Wall Monday--Now and Then Finish

It's Design Wall Monday.  See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

Several months ago I finished a quilt top for our daughter-in-law's expected nephew.  Said nephew has now arrived healthy and hale and it was time to get the quilt finished to give to her sister and her husband. 

I cropped a portion of the pattern by Victoria Findlay Wolf, redo of an antique quilt she called Now and Then, from APQ magazine July 2019.  I liked it in this pic in dappled afternoon sun, but the details didn't show up that well. 

The doubled nine patch I found so interesting as a design twist VFW made from the antique family quilt.  I used Kona Navy and a white crosshatch for the nine patches.  Choosing different straight line quilting designs took some thinking--and way more time than I thought to execute!

I took out the stitching in the rocket ship octagon three different times and still got the measurements wrong to center it--so it stayed!  The nine patch blocks were all ditch stitched, which left a lot of threads to deal with.  

After burying some threads but having lots of trouble with shredding, I cut most of them off as they had been secured while stitching. Originally I was thinking of using the rust print for binding, but am glad I went with the navy blue. 


A few peepee tepees will be made to accompany the baby quilt, which finished about 36" square. Welcome Ryland!  Hope to get to meet you someday when this pandemic ends. 

7 comments:

Sherrill said...

That turned out really cute!! I'm sure the pp teepees will be much appreciated. LOL

Janet O. said...

It is cute, and I think the darker binding was a great choice.
I think sometimes straight line quilting is more time consuming than a simple all-over FMQ design. It just depends on what I think the quilt needs, or what I am in the mood to quilt. :)

Barb said...

What a lucky nephew...love it! Merry Christmas

loulee said...

What a lovely quilt. I'm sure it will be treasured for many years.

Kate said...

A very fun finish! The quilting looks really cool, you'd never know anything was off.

Rebecca Grace said...

Very cute! And yes, those doubled 9 patch variations, or whatever those rectangular ones are, they are very interesting. Never saw those before!

Tanya said...

Just beautiful! And even the back is beautiful with all the great show of quilting!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...