Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Design Wall Monday--Christmas, and After Christmas Sewing

It's Design Wall Monday--see more Design Walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

Hoping all who celebrate enjoyed their abbreviated holiday traditions.  We had a socially distanced Christmas backyard BBQ in SoCal style, completed with a driftwood tree. 


 Hunter was checking out the packages while brother Cove looked on. 

Dane in his mama's arms, keeping cozy in the carrier.  

Grant bought an Elf hat and cracked up his daughters wearing it.  Someone has a pic of me in this family grouping of our kids, but  I haven't seen it yet :) 

Grandson #1 holding Grandson #3.  So cute!  It was quite windy intermittently outside, but we managed to enjoy all the dining and gift opening activities.  Later I socially-distance visited with my Mom and Dad, who were dining with my brother and sister.  We missed the usual large crowd but there is hope for next year!

My post-Christmas sewing room tasks included making pajama pants for the older grandsons, who are outgrowing last year's pair.  Hunter (age 4) called the plaid pajamas "square pants"--so ever after that is what they are!

This is a very cush woven plaid flannel and should keep him warm this winter.  I then turned to the design opportunity I had created for myself with Cove's Minecraft print pants during cutting last night: 

This was the Minecraft fabric I paid an exorbitant amount to have shipped from an out-of-state Etsy seller, having failed to find any through local or online retailers. Naturally there was not enough to recut the Back pieces. Sigh. Daughter Elaine opted for a strip of the same fabric to fix the error, which worked out okay.  The boys were excited to get their long-awaited replacements and put them on right away--Papa took pics but I don't have them yet. 

I have taken vacation this week--only working 1/2 day on Christmas Eve--and have several priority quilting projects to work on.  Number 1 is the Greenpiece BOM and I got to work on that after delivering the Square Pants. All the wool applique blocks' corner triangles needed to be added.  I marked a bunch of already cut squares and set to work. 


After finishing a few sets of corner triangles, it occurred to me that I should layout the blocks to prevent duplicate fabrics meeting in the corners. All the pieced blocks for this Fat Quarter Shop BOM I had finished years ago. Look how pretty they are with the wool blocks!


I'm so happy to be nearing an assembly portion.  There is a large appliqued medallion center that needs to be made before the top can be finished, but I can sew these completed blocks together in the meantime.  That will be tomorrow's task. Hooray!  I love piecing and got a bunch of leader-ender pieces ready too. Though Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville has just quilted her top made from Easy-Breezy blocks, I am still sewing mine.  Looking forward to lots of piecing!

3 comments:

Kate said...

Looks like a very fun Christmas. Grandsons 1 and 2 have certainly sprouted up! Love the term square pants! Both sets of pjs look pretty cool. Your Greenpeace blocks are gorgeous! Hope you've gotten in lots of stitching time while you are on vacation.

Janet O. said...

Looks like a fun Christmas gathering!
Dane is getting big!
Square pants--that is so cute. Now SpongeBob needs plaid pants. :)
That will be a very pretty BOM finish--and you are closing in on it!

Judy Hansen said...

Your grandsons probably watch the cartoon “Sponge Bob, Square Pants”. Thanks for linking with Design Wall Monday, we all learn so much from seeing what other quilters are doing.
Happy New Year,
Judy

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...