Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Greenpiece Progress

Today was an All Sew Day, with the pleasure of assembling the last blocks for this well-aged Greenpiece BOM from the Fat Quarter Shop.  Looking back to 2011, December seems to be the theme with this UFO!


I laid out the blocks according to the finished image and placed my marked squares, taking them by rows to the sewing machine.  

All the pieced blocks have opposite layouts and are cleverly placed in opposing sets in the sections.  The same block in four colorways anchors the corners of the medallion center opening.  Such delicious colors.  Since this pic I added the corner squares to the last three wool applique blocks in the bottom row, and assembled the remaining sections.  A lot of leader-ender blocks got finished during this job. 

Feline QC was present for this stage.  Lots of scrappy variety in these Easy-Breezy blocks (Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville free pattern). 

The final section to finish the center is a tree trunk with grass appliqued on to a background, and more wool applique for the leaves. 

Fortunately I had left the fabric in its labeled month package kit.  I'll need to check if I have a large enough piece of fusible web to use for the tree and grass appliques.  The background fabric is the same cream as in all the wool applique blocks, but is reading very blue in this pic. The fabric on the left is two borders for the center section.

Blessings fabric for the grass...all fabrics are Moda. Perhaps by the end of January I'll have a finished top-there are two outer borders to add as well.  I'm starting to think about the quilting--I'll be sending this out for custom work.  I'll check with my fellow guild members for slots in their calendar. Backing will also need to be purchased.  

Tomorrow we will finish out 2020, saying good riddance for most of it!  Our newest grandson is, of course, one of the bright spots of the year!  I am going to reset my UFO list and consider another self-challenge in the new year.  Lots of quilt tops need finishing and there always new quilts being added to the list :)

3 comments:

Kate said...

That is a gorgeous quilt! Congrats on all the progress.

Barb said...

What an amazing quilt....just love it.

Tanya said...

What a masterpiece you are making!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...