Monday, January 11, 2021

Design Wall Monday--More Greenpiece

 It's Design Wall Monday.  See more design walls at Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog

The Greenpiece BOM continues to occupy my sewing room time.  I got the grass and tree appliques made and stitched down to the center block background. 

Photo from the bed of my sewing machine table.   The large pieces were not too difficult to get stitched down.  Are they perfect?

No they are not!  But not too bad for someone who does little machine applique.  Next job was tracing the leaf shapes onto freezer paper and cutting the wool pieces. 

The instructions call for 55-60 leaves to be cut.  I substituted a hand-drawn ginkgo leaf shape for a few of the leaves--it's my favorite tree.  My hand got tired cutting out all these small leaves.  I'll do the rest in another batch.

The wool colors are so yummy.  I saved the scraps of wool from cutting out this batch of leaves, adding to the baggies of previously saved scraps from the completed blocks. I hope to be stitching these onto the tree later this week between telemed  work. 

Mail this week included a couple of big boxes that contained a Christmas Bonus gift I ordered from Arrow Cabinets.  I love putting furniture together, especially an easy job like this was, inserting the chair base wheels and attaching the seat back to the chair seat.

They were having a great sale, but all the fun patterns were sold out, so I settled for this neutral.  It really is a better choice for my chaotic open sewing room!  the seat opens to reveal storage.  I liked the secretarial base shape better than the regular chair legs on some of the other options.  
 
I'm setting up a new Bullet Journal and reassessing my WIPS and UFOs, of which there are many...but I couldn't resist buying a new pattern and pulling fat quarters...

There's another baby quilt to make for a daughter's friend--how could I not?  And all from stash, so it's practically free.  Rationalization is a sign of a creative mind, isn't it?



7 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I love, love, love tree quilts and your Greenpiece is no exception. You'll hand applique the woolen leaves? Its positively yummy! I need to fine tune my own bullet journal; staying on top of projects makes my life happy. Cosmic Crush looks exciting- you've pulled some great colors.

Bonnie said...

Your leaves look great. The Gingko leaves will make this pattern "yours." I keep buying wool but have done very little with it. Could that be a future project? um, maybe not... too many started now. My special sewing chair finally died this year. (It was only 12 years old or so... bummer.) Maybe I'll keep an eye on the Arrow Cabinet chairs...

Janet O. said...

Those are beautiful colors in the Greenpiece quilt. My hand is tired thinking about all that cutting!
Looks like a nice new chair--and with storage?? Bonus!!
Looks like that will be a wonderful baby quilt. How do you find time to make all those baby quilts for daughter's friends? I barely get them made for my own grandkids! LOL

Tanya said...

Your machine applique looks perfect to me! Very nice!

Kate said...

Love all those leaves! Looking forward to watching your tree leaf out. That's lot of work! Hope you've been able to enjoy some slow stitching between appointments.

Preeti said...

Cosmic Crush looks like a fun pattern. Wishing you good luck with all your projects.

Judy Hansen said...

The tree project is going to be beautiful. Ginko leaves are my favorite too, so love the graceful shape of their leaves. Did you know that Ginko trees have existed virtually unchanged for over 200 million years? I look forward to seeing your leaves attached to your tree in the coming weeks. Thanks for linking with Design Wall Monday, Judy

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...