Sunday, January 17, 2021

Slow Sunday Stitching-Jan 17

 It's Slow Sunday Stitching--see more posts on Kathy's Quilts blog.

I'm cross stitching on an inexpensive wooden craft kit I picked up at Joann's some time ago. 

I finished a similar wooden ornament deer scene before  Christmas and gave it to my sister.  These are fun little projects.  The needle-nose pliers provide good help to pull the needle after running through stitches on the back. Since this photo I've finished the ground, stars and tree ornaments.

We've been rearranging furniture in the guest room since we gave away the bedroom set of my MIL's to a friend in need.  The quilt is from Judy's Mystery quiltalong some years ago on Patchwork Times, when she used to quilt a lot.  I've since switched it out with the Jewels in the Curio quilt which has been gracing the stair railing since I finished the binding some months ago.

I sent this to David's Quilting and love the Alex pattern with open curvy quilting. It is just big enough for the Full size guest bed, here it is laid out on our CalKing.

I caught the sliver moonset at sunset the other night.  It has been very hot with little humidity, which makes for spectacular sunsets but is always worrying in dry, dry, and windy southern California.  Fire danger is HUGE, there was a fire a couple of days ago in the County, but far from us. Fingers crossed they won't shut off our power in the middle of telemedicine work next week! Today we also remember the Northridge Earthquake of 1994 that knocked out power for millions in SoCal for days and caused much damage ( we lost power in our county for most of the day). Our kids were small then and our older daughter in the top bunk was so used to the bed being jostled by her little sister below, that she never even woke up :)

5 comments:

Little Penpen said...

Cute little ornament! Should be fun to make. Pretty quilts!

Janet O. said...

So you will be way ahead with this ornament for next Christmas! :)
Two lovely quilts. Love the chains connecting the blocks in the first one, and the barn raising pattern in the second one.
Beautiful shot of your night sky.
Your closing comment made me laugh. Back in the 1960s our area had quite a strong earthquake. I slept on the bottom bunk of our bunkbeds, with my older sister in the top. She had bad allergies and would rub her nose so hard our bed would often shake, and I had become used to it. But that morning the bed was moving harder than usual and I sleepily grumbled at her to stop rubbing her nose. No response. She was sound asleep and it was the earthquake causing our bed to rock and roll.

Jenny said...

Lovely quilts and your evening photo is fabulous! Well done for capturing the moment so well.

Tanya said...

Ah... to have a CalKing size bed! But that would mean so much more work on any quilts to fit it! Your quilts are wonderful.

Kate said...

I remember that quilt along of Judy's. I didn't play along with that one. Jewels in the Curio turned out beautifully! Hope you got some relief with the latest weather system and got some rain.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...