Sunday, July 25, 2021

Slow Sunday Stitching--Smyrna Cross

Slow Sunday Stitching--see more links on Kathy's Quilts blog. 

Blackbird Designs' Loose Feathers #21 Garden of Life is getting closer to being finished.  I stitched the large bird's body first and added the Smyrna Cross stitches in the wing last.  A new to me stitch, it was fun and pretty fast, being worked over four threads. 


I stair-stepped down the bird's back to outline the area.  This nighttime pic is a bit off in color. 


Daytime pic is better.  I love the texture the Smyrna Cross stitch gives the wing. The bird got his legs and feet and the last portion of zig zag border was then completed.  

While there is plenty of color in this design, I liked that the soft palette was limited--only two greens, pink/peach, blues, and ecru and a light taupe/tan. Left to finish are the rest of the phrase in green below Friends, and then my initials above the F in Friends. Oh, and a few light taupe highlights amid the flowers in the trees I skipped.  I'll enjoy completing the last stitches this week.

8 comments:

loulee said...

You made good progress.
I do like the texture the stitching gives to the wing.

Kim said...

Love that bird! The Smyrna Cross stitch is fabulous. There is so much pretty visual interest in your Garden of Life project and of course the soft palette is lovely.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your stitch looks amazing and what a lovely job you did on the Smyrna cross . Enjoy.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Great texture on the birds wing!

Kathy H said...

The texture on the wing is great. It’s turning out wonderful.

CathieJ said...

I love the stitching on that wing. It really makes it stand out! This piece is so pretty.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

It's a beautiful stitch--Barb made such a contribution to both the world of needlework and quilting with their fabrics

Tanya said...

It is coming along beautifully!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...