Monday, July 26, 2021

Design Wall Monday--New Quilt Request

Design Wall Monday rolls around again.  See more design walls/surfaces on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

I received a message from younger daughter Erica asking if a month is enough time to make a quilt.  Her boyfriend's best friend is getting married and she wanted to give him a quilt.  She had a pattern all picked out for a throw sized quilt.  I said "Sure", of course, and Saturday afternoon I drove up to their place.  The pattern she decided on is a two sided--with opposite colorway on the reverse.  It is called Double the Plus, by designer Emily Dennis of Quiltylove.com.  

We first visited Cotton and Chocolate Quilt Company where Erica quickly picked out a gray tonal for the blocks and a black and white print binding fabric.  Kona Snow or Bone was our first choice for the white, but the bolts were pretty picked over--due to the California Quilt Run, no doubt.  Lots of shoppers were enjoying the day.  We needed 5 yards, but didn't want several pieces to make that amount.  A trip to JoAnn's Fabric followed.  Their bolt selection was also pretty slim; however there was Kona Bone in 108" width so Erica bought two yards.  If I cut correctly, I should not have to piece any of the sashing or borders for the White side.


There is a lot of cutting and stitching in my future!  Good thing I have fresh blades for the rotary cutter. 

Erica's boyfriend's mother is from Ireland, so I found the name of the tonal fabric amusing.

I also came home with payment for my services--Erica bought this for me:


How could I pass up this cute print that matched my manicure?  It was lovely to spend a couple of hours with Erica and a great excuse for a favorite rural drive instead of the busy freeway to get there and back, while singing along (badly) to the radio.  It was a mood booster for sure :)

4 comments:

loulee said...

Great excuse for a visit.
Have fun with your new project.

eda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Judy Hansen said...

I am interested to see this quilt and the double sided plan. It will be beautiful. Thanks for faithfully linking to the Design Wall Mondays linky party. Hugs, Judy

Tanya said...

How fun! And for practically a professional quilt maker like you a month is quite enough! (I've done it during summer vacations in California when there is not much else for me to do. I love it! No cooking, no cleaning, only quilting day after day!)

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...