Monday, August 30, 2021

Design Wall Monday--Double the Plus Quilt Finish

Design Wall Monday brings a finished quilt post. See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

The short deadline quilt occupied most of last week.  I used the Hera marker to first mark diagonal lines through all the plus blocks.  


I liked the way the plus blocks looked with an X through the center, and completed all the lines in both directions.  But the lines were about 7 inches across, so after consulting with daughter Erica, divided that in half with stitching lines.  It took two long quilting sessions to get all the lines marked and sewn. 

I opted to quilt from the grey side, as I felt the cream thread would be less noticeable on the reverse white quilt side if I missed the exact centers. 

The lines stayed pretty well lined up, thankfully.  The binding already prepared, I set about carefully pinning it 1/2" from the edge of the top, to avoid any places where the top quilt and reverse quilt edges didn't exactly match up.  The walking foot made pretty quick work of getting the binding all on, and I carefully trimmed the extra 1/4" off.  Before quitting for the night on Wednesday, I turned the binding to the white side and pinned/clipped it in place. 


I sewed during lunch break and finished the quilt after work, including a label, in time for daughter Erica to pick it up. We got to visit some as she stayed for dinner.
Double the Plus is an Emily Dennis pattern available on her website quiltylove.com


This quilt being intended as a wedding gift for Erica's boyfriend Ryan's best friend, I was happy to receive a call from Ryan effusive in his compliments on the quilt and appreciation for all the sewing involved :)  Ryan gave the quilt a tryout...

...accompanied by their kitties Zuzu and Bruce.  Thumbs up/paws up from all :)  I'll look forward to hearing how the recipient liked the quilt.  Erica said the wedding was fun and that Ryan--the best man--caught the garter, lol.  

3 comments:

loulee said...

That's a great finish and the low volume quilting is the perfect way to complete a low volume quilt. I'm sure it will be treasured when it gets to it's new home.

Bonnie said...

I'm in awe of you doing a double sided quilt. In fact I was half way through reading before I realized it was double sided. GREAT job. And yea for someone who appreciates all the work that goes into it. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Tanya said...

Wow! Didn't that come together nicely. I too wouldn't have though you could get all those pluses on both sides to line up! Glad Ryan likes it! I'm sure his friends will too!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...