Sunday, September 5, 2021

Slow Sunday Stitching--A Finish and a Start

 Slow Sunday Stitching--see more lovely items being hand worked on Kathy's blog. 

I have a finish and a start--I think I'll start with the cross-stitch first. I'm stitching a scissor weight on linen to accompany the Pomegranate and Poinsettia pincushion stitch. Both of these are on the same piece of linen.  It is SMALL, 32 count; in retrospect, working on this at night wasn't the best choice. :)


The pinkeep will be petite.  However, after completing the whole border after this pic, I found that I had made it too small by two stitches in each direction, and the center design would not fit.  I directly moved over on this big piece of linen and began again. 


This small stitch should quickly be completed and then I'll construct the pinkeep and scissor weight. I started this UFO at least 6 years ago.  Sheesh.

The other slow stitching was a binding finish.  I made a quilt from 6" reproduction print swap blocks (Fun with Barb blog) and used single-fold binding.  It has been waiting weeks to be turned back and finished but at last is done.

The wind made the quilt dance a little; it is not actually that shape! 


Stash fabrics for the binding and borders.  


...as well as the backing.  This has been in stash a long time and I love the colors. 


Isn't the pumpkin print sweet? The binding looks bowed here, for some reason, but is not.  


The quilt is about 22x32.  This patch of weeds is about the only green thing in what used to be a lawn in the backyard!  Currently in SoCal we are in excessive drought and conserving water.  Hoping for some rain and ending the worst of the fire season relatively unscathed in our county!

6 comments:

Kim said...

Oh, I love a finished quilt dancing in the wind. Your reproduction print swap blocks, quilt is lovely. Yes, those pumpkins on the back are sweet; such a lovely fabric for the backing. You could certainly do with a downpour of rain. Fingers cross that the heavens will open up soon to make the earth green again.

Sherrill said...

I can't wait to see the finished pinkeep and scissor weight! That stuff's way too tiny for my eyes. Your little quilt turned out so cute and the backing is perfect. I've never in my life done single fold binding. Hope you guys get rain soon..know what being in a drought feels like and fortunately we haven't experienced one in awhile.

Quilter Kathy said...

Congrats on the finish... love that pumpkin fabric!
And the tiny stitching will be lovely... it's been waiting patiently a long time and it's ready to be something!

Loris said...

Strong work getting those UFO's going. I love the pumpkin fabric and bought a large amount of it several years ago. I think I used it to back a large quilt...though I can't remember which one.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Slow and steady wins the race, just ask that tortoise! I love your little block swap piece, I have that same sweet pumpkin backing fabric in my stash! Slow stitching sounds quite relaxing, I have no idea whatsoever a scissor weight is, though.

Tanya said...

Lovely little quilt! Good for you to keep going on your slow stitching even when there are counting errors.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...