Monday, September 6, 2021

Design Wall Monday--Labor Day

 Design Wall Monday--see more Design Walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

This Labor Day I'm working on the Windham Challenge project for the upcoming Sewtopia sewing retreat my sister and I will attend late this month.  These fabrics are from Denyse Schmidt's new line, Five + Ten. I love her designs. 


I'm making a pillow with this collection.  


I became concerned about all the pieces needed for the pattern I chose (which I wish had been given in a cutting diagram!), so I drew them all on paper and cut them out, to try to make my fabric cutting the most efficient.  I will likely need every bit of the 5 fat quarters for my pillow, since I am not adding any additional Windham fabric.


Tesselating design and applied stuffed balls.  I have had this book for some time, but the original pattern was in an insert from the LA Times, and I have that from the 80s! but never made one. The new book includes modern techniques for cutting and piecing. 

Cross-stitching: A reader of yesterday's post (Hi Debbie!) noted she had never heard of a scissor weight.  I must agree, but this was the pattern cover for the cross stitch I just finished.  I assume the scissor weight keeps your scissors on your lap or surface so they don't slide away.  


One Year Ago: 
Our two older grandsons Cove and Hunter met their new baby boy cousin, Dane, being held there for the first time by Auntie Erica (not the baby's mother).  The boys just started Kindergarten and Second Grade last week!  Time flies.  

Pets: 


A year ago Mini stuffed herself in a project box I had just emptied.  She's lost a lot of weight since then and can fit much more easily now, lol.

5 comments:

Janet O. said...

That is a pretty collection of fabrics.
Very cute cat quilt. I've never seen that one.
Scissors weight is new to me, too.
You have such handsome grandsons. Doesn't seem long ago that each of them was a baby like their cousin. :)
So Mini is more mini now?

Joyful Quilter said...

I saw recently were someone had traced pattern pieces on to freezer paper and ironed it onto their fabric to insure they had enough fabric. I thought it (and your version also)was a great idea. I'd just started cutting and gone Oops later.

Bonnie said...

I like those fabrics you are working with. It'll be fun to see what you work up. Brilliant idea to make sure all the pieces fit. Now make sure you cut very carefully!

Barb said...

fun cat quilt pattern. I remember that one.
what sweet beautiful children.
what a sweet cat. Love her low volume coloring

Tanya said...

Clever of you to cut your pieces out of paper first so you get an idea of how to use your fabric. I’ll try to remember that.

I guess I didn’t know what a scissor weight was either, but it makes sense!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...