Monday, October 11, 2021

Design Wall Monday--Livin' Large

 Design Wall Monday-- see more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

*Edit: I was not able to link up this morning due to computer problems on my end--my apologies for those of you who are seeing this post twice today!

While at Sewtopia Orlando, I was able to complete a few blocks of the second project I had partially precut, before we had to pack up on the last day of sewing.  I have been hoarding a fat quarter bundle for many years that I won in a giveaway on Heather Mulder Peterson's blog, Trends and Traditions. I just searched on my blog and hers, and OMG that was in JULY 2010.  It  has probably been 5 years since I picked a pattern from her Livin Large pattern booklet--the Square Dance quilt :).   


Precutting all the outer border cream fabric with my GO cutter before Sewtopia saved a lot of time when it came to constructing the blocks. I had fun mixing and matching the prints.  Love these colors. 

There were odd size lengths for the border neutrals and I had to keep a close eye on which set I was constructing.  Thumbs up again for the Omnigrid rotating mat and the Creative Grids Folded Corner Clipper for all the trimming.  

Closeup of the border fabric.  I like the ribbon white on white complementing the straight lines of the block. 

 
Also appreciated in Heather's book are all the different sizes offered, and very clear pressing directions.  I'm making the throw size, which is 20 blocks. 

I have now completed a second set of 9 blocks. Mini provided inspection services as always. 


Two more blocks to make!  They will be duplicates from the fat quarter bundle.  I just have to decide which two.  There is a lot more sewing to do to finish the top, but I am so happy to free these pretty prints from their bundle after all these years!

7 comments:

loulee said...

A very pretty quilt.
It's nice to work with big blocks sometimes.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

SEW pretty! I've never seen that Folded Corner ruler by CG- clever tool!

Quilter Kathy said...

Love those paisleys! And that background ribbon fabric is awesome too!

Barb said...

This is going to be one pretty quilt...I just love this block.

Janet O. said...

It is a fun collection of prints, and that block really allows the fun fabrics to show off.

Judy Hansen said...

That folded corner ruler looks like it would be useful. I shall have to look into buying one. Bet it is so satisfying to get the fabric you won, and make something of it. And your quilt is going to be beautiful. Good work! Hugs, Judy

Tanya said...

Such pretty colors in the Square Dance blocks!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...