Sunday, October 10, 2021

Sewtopia Orlando--Part Three

Sewtopia Orlando featured a much smaller number of attendees, due to COVID-19 social distancing rules, but the camaraderie, creativity, and fun level remained high as always.  My sister Kathy, the speed sewer, had two main projects and quickly whipped out the first, for her daughter's fiance. 

He's a big and tall guy so she used big squares.  

Kathy also made this pretty table runner from part of a panel.  I think this one is destined for Mom. She made at least three projects while I worked on my first!

A fellow attendee that I passed by multiple times while going back and forth to a design wall,  was carefully keeping track of placement of small squares with one hand on the pattern as she laid them out in a grid with the other.  I had no idea what she was making but enjoyed the big reveal. 

RBG!  That was a great deal of work for two days!  Precutting is sure the way to go.  I definitely benefitted from my efforts to do so on my two projects, though my progress was way slower than my sister's and others in the room.  I had thought I would finish all the blocks in one day, but with outings and the trunk show and meals--and mistakes-- it took way longer than I imagined.


This will be a baby quilt for some future gift/grandchild.  In looking on Instagram recently, I noticed most people had each pair of points in the same fabric.  That would have made it easier to avoid the placement problems of trying to make each block different, but overall I like it. 

Carolyn Friedlander is a talented modern quilter and provided a large trunk show, since she apparently doesn't live far from Orlando.  She does a great deal of needle turn applique in her quilts. 

These shapes were all cut by hand, I believe, and appliqued on.  I have seen a number of her quilts in person at quilt shows and her stitching is invisible. 


This was a combination of piecing and applique.  Love the colors and shapes. 

Great graphic shape and color play.  One of my favorites. 

Another great graphic pieced quilt.  She is a very small woman, I towered over her when chatting with her at her booth about applique.  I have a couple of her patterns, and bought some thread gloss.  It is always great to meet quilt designers in person. 

One more post to wrap up--including our adventures getting home...

2 comments:

Sherrill said...

Sounds like you had fun (and I may have had some travel 'adventures' like you recently..ugh). Will wait for your final trip post to know for sure.

Tanya said...

Oh, I really like your stars with all the different colors! It is not the amount of work that gets done that's important. It is enjoying the process that hits the mark!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...