Monday, February 28, 2022

Design Wall Monday--Fat Quarters

 Design Wall Monday rolls around again. See more design walls on Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

Having just finished a big quilt top, I was ready for some piecing.  I rarely buy fat quarter stacks, but when I saw the Oh My Darling  line some years ago, I had to buy it from Connecting Threads.  It has waited all this time to become a lap quilt from a book I bought years ago at a local guild sale. 


The quilts are simple and charming, all cut from fat quarters  


On Saturday night we were babysitting our youngest grandson--who was already put to bed when we arrived--so I brought my mat and ruIers and used the kitchen counter to begin cutting.  The fat quarters were stacked three at a time and pieces cut.  I got the rest cut Sunday but there was a tragedy: I cut some pieces wrong not once, but twice!  So I am rich in 2.5" squares and short on longer strips.  I am not sure how to fix this, as the pattern calls for five different prints in each block. 


I've pawed through the fat quarter drawers looking for prints similar to the ones I miscut.  It remains to be seen if I can make it look intentional when put together.  The quilt is very scrappy so It will probably work!

7 comments:

Sara said...

If you can, go ahead and piece those longer strips. Once the blocks are assembled those seams won't show hardly at all. And once it's quilted the seams will probably disappear completely.

Beautiful colors, so it will be really pretty.

Chantal said...

Send an SOS on Facebook or IG if someone has the same print like the one you miscut. You never know; you might get lucky! ;^)

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Hopefully you find a solution for you miscut pieces!

Janet O. said...

I love the name of that book! That is fun. :)
Oh, been there, done that on the cutting thing. I would concur with Sarah, if you have enough of the fabric to piece the strips to the size you need. This was so common a practice in vintage quilts, and it really disappears into the finished quilt top.
What a unique and clever pattern. I look forward to seeing it in the fabrics you are using.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Timeless pattern! It looks like modern stair steps. How about just seaming the miss-cut pieces back together, using a 1/8" seam allowance?

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh how fun this will be!!!

Tanya said...

You've found another one that's going to be a real beauty! Can't wait to see how this turns out under your fingers.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...