Sunday, August 21, 2022

Ventura County Fair 2022

Hi, I'm still here, just haven't had much to blog about sewing-wise, as I haven't turned on my machine in awhile. Hubby and I chose the last concert night to attend our local Fair.  Parking was awful as usual but I was smart and headed for the furthest rows, where the earlier attendees might have already exited, and was rewarded by a nice, close slot.  Hubby does not walk distances very well, due to chronic back issues, so we stopped frequently so he could sit down for a few minutes.  We headed to the Home Arts building after eating some fish tacos for dinner. I went inside while Grant enjoyed a beer.

It was a pretty sad showing overall for Home Arts for the first Fair after the pandemic, which I attribute mostly to the change in submitting entries to ONLY online, but lots of guild members won ribbons.  


Lots of variety.  As usual, the lighting in this building is terrible, and I wish they had hung more quilts from the ceiling where you could see the entire quilt. 


There was a good variety to enjoy, both modern and traditional.  


Judy got ribbons for all her entries.  She hand quilts most of her quilts. 


I like this pretty bee quilt. Love the pollen on the bee's leg :)


Cute embroidered pillow and knitting.


Christmas beauties.  Love the big star and cardinal quilt, and the cabin in the woods with Santa.


Chris is another guild member who did well.  First on this small geometric...


..and on a really large quilt.  We had a class for this a couple of years ago and mine remains unfinished.  I really like Chris's setting. 


More beachy items in a booth. The seagulls in the quilt on the floor are cute. 


There was plenty of cross-stitch and embroidery too. This is so pretty and obviously took many hours of needle and thread time. 


The Jar embroidery quilt caught my eye, as I had entered a quilt with the top left embroidery design a few years ago!

Cute Easter themed stitcheries. 


Loved the colors in this sweet heart wallhanging.

We had a little time to wander around before the concert.  The usual beautiful landscaping and garden and animal exhibits were thin and the whole place looked bare.  Hope next year is better.  We made our way to the Grandstand for the concert as the sun was setting. 


I captured not one, but TWO different sunflares in the clouds.  


The second was faint, but still visible. 


We were far away from the top fans at the foot of the concert stage, but had a great view on the large screen.  The sunset seemed to last forever. 


Wider scene showing the crowd.  Lots of great music and we enjoyed the 1 hour show, free with Fair Entry.  The rodeo took over the Grandstand Arena for the rest of the Fair Days. 

We enjoyed our time but missed a lot of our favorite vendors and exhibits that were absent.  Hopefully next year's Fair will be further recovered and more popular than ever.  I will definitely enter something next year!

1 comment:

Tanya said...

So nice that you got to see a quilt exhibit though it is a shame the whole quilts couldn't be seen. Sadly the Tokyo Quilt Festival will no longer be held so I don't know when I'll ever get to see another grand quilt exhibit.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...