Monday, October 24, 2022

Design Wall Monday--Windham Challenge

I'm late as usual for Design Wall Monday--but still wanted to share the sewing room project of the moment.  See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

The Sewtopia Event this year in Palm Springs is coming up fast.  I signed up for the Windham Fabric challenge and received a fabric bundle. I showed it a few posts ago with the block I wanted to make. 


The challenge rules allow any Windham fabrics.  I had some scraps of solids from a previous years' challenges and pulled those to play with the new group. 



I cut and sewed, cut and sewed...


The block turned out pretty well---but it was far too busy.  I let it stew overnight and tried again. 


After some careful surgery of some of the non-current challenge fabric, and and frustration with wrong-sized strips, I was happier with my changes. 


It took nearly all day but now it looks like this!  Much better.  I believe I will make a quilted pillow sham from the block.  I have made binding with the remainder of the blue and white striped fabric.  There is a light-colored fat quarter from stash that will do for half of the backing, and I'll cobble together extra block parts/pieces of challenge fabric for the rest. 

In other Sewtopia prep, I sewed together one of the blocks for the Four-Patch X quilt I also plan to work on--but it turned out too big!  I am blaming that on the sewing machine foot I was using.  Still to finish is a general swap gift and my sister's birthday quilt...as well as packing, etc. 

7 comments:

Kate said...

A very fun and colorful block. You picked just the right fabrics.

Janet O. said...

I think removing the print with the red in it was a good choice for calming the block. It looks really good!
You know, my Mom made her first quilt when she was a new mother. She quilted off and on until her family was raised, and then she really focused on her quilting until she was 85 years old, and she NEVER owned a 1/4" foot. When she would give me leftover blocks from a quilt she made, I had the hardest time if I wanted to make a few more to go with them to make a small quilt, because she always used the edge of her foot for her seam allowance, not caring that it wasn't 1/4". I really struggled to replicate more of her blocks and have them turn out the same size. It is really obvious to me in some of thew quilts I made from her leftovers.

Preeti said...

Oh Annie, I love the dark background and the floral border is absolutely rocking it!!! Gorgeous block!!!

Preeti said...

Love the gorgeous block. The dark background makes it pop. Beautiful floral border too.

Preeti said...

Love the gorgeous block. The dark background makes it pop. Beautiful floral border too.

Preeti said...

Love the dark background and the floral border. Makes it pop. This will make a darling project.

Tanya said...

What a beautiful star block!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...