Thursday, October 20, 2022

Pismo Getaway

We were happy to have a recent weekend getaway to visit friends--I took a day off work and we headed up the coast to Pismo Beach on Friday.  It was cloudy and cool and the drive easy. Toni and Dan have a house high up on the hill with wonderful views. We had wood fired pizzas in their amazing hillside pavilion--built since the last time we visited. 

 


Their hilly lot has an unobstructed view to the ocean and the freeway is far enough away to be mostly hidden. 


It was a wonderful way to spend the first evening catching up by the fire table and under the heaters. 


Their rescue Golden rested on her fake lawn--Callie is still pretty young and ready to get into mischief :)


We went to Avila Beach for a late lunch one day.  The ocean was very calm with hardly any surf all the way from home.  All the tourists didn't seem to mind. 

The pier was closed some time ago for safety reasons but there were lot of folks enjoying the many shops/restaurants along the boardwalk.  

Toni wanted my help sorting out sewing machines she had from her mother and aunt after they both passed about 10 years ago.  While she was getting them all out and set up, I sewed down the binding on a tablerunner I made her--she didn't know it was for her until I finished it :)

Toni and Dan have a lot of grey tones in their decor and I wanted to match that.  How did I do?


These were leftover Chunky Churndash blocks, hourglass block and sashing from my Dad's quilt. It is a Betsy Chutchian fabric called Eliza's Indigo. Wish I had more of this!

Backing from a fat quarter and more scraps. Very simple quilting. We sorted through Toni's machines and she made decisions on what to move on.  One machine we could not get the bobbin case to stay in; the other was a late 70's fancy Bernina with embroidery menus that she will keep.


Another sunset enjoyed from the pavilion...The colored bands from the deep fog bank above the ocean and a huge upper cloudbank were so unusual.  The drive home on Sunday was an easy couple of hours.  I forgot a bag of shoes so Toni mailed them to me!  We look forward to visiting again. 

5 comments:

Kate said...

A nice visit with friends with beautiful scenery, that's definitely a nice weekend. You did really well with the colors in the table runner.

Julierose said...

What a lovely spot and view your friend has--great that you could spend some time with her...I love your little gift--the colors are really perfect for her neutral decor, I think. Nice job...Hugs, Julierose

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

You did a great job coordinating the decor. It is a pretty runner. I love the backing fabric.

Janet O. said...

What a gorgeous view. Looks like a very pleasant place to visit.
Your table runner fits in perfectly.
Love that last photo--so striking!

Tanya said...

What a wonderful place to spend an evening and the view is fantastic! That would be like a luxury resort hotel for me! I don't think I've ever been in a setting I'd like more!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...