Monday, January 23, 2023

Design Wall Monday--Accidental Squirrel

Design Wall Monday--see more great projects on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

While hubby was off golfing on Sunday, I poked around my small projects drawer and the precut squares and strip drawers for entertainment.  There were some brown/white HSTs that looked like a good starting point.  Soon I was pulling more browns and neutrals, cutting up more scraps to make HSTs. 


A pattern soon showed up, though it seemed to take all afternoon to get to this point!  Finding enough of one brown scrap/partial fat quarter to cut matching 4" squares  for the HSTs was the first hurdle.  Initially I was going to make only three blocks...


Then I made three more, and included the blue print. That led to needing another row to make a more cohesive scrappy quilt. Improv is hard!  I do better when there is some commonality; in this case, cheddar centers with the four brown squares, and creamy yellowy prints with red centers for the simple churn dash blocks.  


Lots of auditioning, trimming, refolding and reorganizing.  It was good to poke into the fat quarter dresser, but a colorful squirrel showed up, too!

While at Sewtopia Palm  Springs last November, I bought a curated fat quarter stack  at the in-event shop, in colors foreign to most of my stash.  They have been in a wire bin on top of the fat quarter dresser, so I  see them frequently.  I decided to find a fat quarter friendly pattern among my library.  Several options were narrowed down to the Livin Large pattern booklet by Heather Mulder Peterson--seems she's my favorite designer recently--having just finished the bindings on two runners from another booklet of hers :)  

The pattern I was drawn to is on the back of the booklet, Pretty in Pink, and required additional fat quarters for the throw size, meaning many auditions from the stash drawers. The curated fat quarter bundle is the top group in this photo.


Pink and blue are not colors I have much of, but I did find some sweet coral options and a repro blue print that blended. The pattern also can be cut from 10" squares. I likely will not add the applique, but we'll see!  The bolt of Kona Snow I bought last year still has plenty of fabric on it, which I will use for the narrow sashing. Nice to have all the fabric I need for this on hand!  

6 comments:

Nann said...

Isn't it fun when a design just flows forth? I have saved a couple of versions of that kind of split-square and can imagine it in any number of colorways or genres. I paid full-price for one of Heather's patterns because it is called Nann Patch. Spelled that way! It's been pinned to my bulletin board for years and years. Haven't made it yet.

Judy Hansen said...

Hi Annie,
I do like the pattern you picked out to use with your fat quarter stack. It will be beautiful - with or without the appliquéd flowers. Hugs, Judy

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I really like how those blocks look together. So pretty.

Kate said...

You did well on the project that came out of the deep dive into your small project drawer. You picked a great project for those fat quarters. It will show off those prints beautifully.

Janet O. said...

I really like the warm, cozy look of your "while hubby golfs" project. The touch of blue in the center is a nice spark.
That Heather Peterson pattern will hopefully be an easy one to piece, and use up your pretty prints in a way that allows them to shine.
Isn't it a smug feeling to have everything you need? :)

Tanya said...

Those are pretty colors for the Pretty in Pink quilt you are going to make!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...