Thursday, March 9, 2023

March Progress

Lots of sewing room time is being spent on the bookshelf quilt for my niece, Emma, which has lingered as a UFO for over a year, regrettably!

The Kitties got moved to the top shelf--we all know kitties like high places :).  I decided to make the top shelf a couple of inches shorter than the lower shelves, for variety.  Somehow in all the reshuffling the pieces have gotten, the shelves grew very tall.  The instructions I am working with specify shelves in the 9-10" range, but mine were at least 12".  This was making it necessary to add a lot of pieces to my precut blank strips.  While I like a lot of detail, I don't want it to be cluttered. 


The left side of the bookshelf is looking very good. Another grouping of leaning books helped fill up the middle shelf.  The pieces next to it are not in final arrangement or yet sewn to the "shelf" strips.  Emma's mom, my SIL, recently visited and felt my color choices were very appropriate for her girl. That was great to know :)  I sent a pic to Emma, too, and she was very excited with the progress. I am designing more objects for the right side of the bookshelf, including her first initial.  Since I missed my February finish deadline, I am aiming for March 31 now :)

Also seeing progress is the Winter Bouquet DMC cross-stitch kit. I had finally finished all the cross-stitches...  


...and have made a start on the outlining.  There is a LOT of surface work and outlining to do, but it is coming along. I have to reference the pattern symbols and colors frequently.  Much of the outlining is with this green shade in a single strand!  It will get finished, eventually...


4 comments:

Janet O. said...

The bookshelf quilt is really looking good. I really like this style of quilt, but doubt my patience would ever survive the making of one.
That is a very soft, pretty cross-stitch piece. Oh, the detail of all that outlining! But it really does make things stand out.

Kate said...

The bookcase project is coming along. I really like those kitties, it's a fun addition to those shelves. The cross stitch looks great. Progress may be slow, but you'll get there.

Nann said...

A UFO for a while? You can explain to your niece that you are carefully curating her personal library. LOL.

Tanya said...

The outlining really makes the crosstitch stand out. It is a lot of work but it will be so lovely1

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...