Sunday, August 20, 2023

Surviving Hilary and an Earthquake, and Quilting

SO, we are being deluged by Hurricane Hilary the now Tropical Storm,  a first for California in over 100 years.. After meeting our son and grandsons at the park and watching our daughter in law play soccer this morning (she's playing goalie), it began to rain as we left, and has been raining ever since, pretty steadily. I spent most of the morning thereafter in the sewing room getting a quilt top sandwiched.  I was still in the sewing room when we had a 5.1 earthquake strike Ojai, 20+ miles away.  It was quite a ride during the quake and for many aftershocks thereafter.  Fortunately there was no significant damage to relate. 

I picked up my Fair entries early in the week an gathered up all the ribbons.  There were judge's comments on the back of each tag, and pretty much each one indicated more quilting was recommended.  I suppose I'll have to use that as my guide to win a blue ribbon again at the Fair! I did get awarded 4 second place, a third, and two honorable mentions.  


Quite a pile to bring home.  I'll cash my $7.00 prize check sometime, as the cashier was long closed by the time I went to the Fairgrounds after work.

Grandson Hunter's quilt saw some action on Saturday while hubby Grant was away. I got all the blocks assembled.  


They are quite busy and it seemed wise to suggest a narrow sashing to Hunter's mommy.  He chose a dark green, from my suggestions.  I'll need to purchase that at the fabric store. 


Sunset last night was amazing.  I caught the sliver moon in another pic. 

5 comments:

Loris said...

Congrats on your Fair wins :-) They look like fun entries.
I was surprised that we didn't even feel the earthquake up here in Cambria. I guess just too far away. And no rain from Hurricane Hilary either but we were sure praying for the rest of those in the path.
The grandson quilt is looking good. You sure had a full day!

Janet O. said...

Boy, you really had a double whammy! Glad you didn't suffer damage in the quake. We felt a very small ripple from two nearby quakes just after the pandemic shut things down 3 years ago, and I was starting to wonder if the world was self-destructing. ;)
Congrats on your many ribbons!
Your last two photos don't show up for me.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Congratulations on all of your Fair ribbons!!
I'm glad you are all OK!! We got some rain here, too - but that earthquake was the biggest surprise - ;))

Kate said...

Congrats on the fair ribbons! So glad the earthquake wasn't any worse. Hopefully flooding up your way was minimal too. It really does sound like someone made Mother Nature mad on several fronts.

Tanya said...

I'm glad you survived both the hurricane and the earthquake. Which was worse? I was concerned about my son who lives near Palm Springs but he and his neighbors were having a hurricane party! Sort of a blase attitude towards possible natural disasters but it was a good way to stay positive!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...