- Who knew there was so much MATH involved in quilting? I am definitely not stupid but sometimes the ciphering confabulates me! One of my must-have sewing desk supplies is a calculator, sometimes just for basic addition. I am no good at carrying in my head.
- I bought a length of flannel to back the Strippie baby quilt I'm making. On Sunday night at 7 PM when I was ready to get the quilt sandwich together, I found out the flannel is only 40 inches wide including the selvages, and I did not want to trim the quilt top any narrower than it already was at 41 inches. MATH again! Naturally it was too late to get to an open fabric/quilt shop and naturally I did not have anything suitable here. So instead I cut the batting to size and made the binding, and last night stopped at a different store to pick up more flannel. I can already tell I will be cutting it close to deadline on Saturday to get this project done.
- Traffic rant of the week: Diagonal parking lot walkers. Just go straight across the road to the sidewalk first, people!
- My mom and dad are in Cincinnati. Mom is scoping out our accommodations for next spring's International Quilt Festival. Luckily we will be staying with family and not have to think about a hotel room with Cincinnati's newest statistic: Worst bedbug infested city in the U.S.
- The new television season has begun. Grant and I watched the premieres to The Event and Hawaii Five-O. I liked The Event better, more mystery. There was quite a bit of violence and shooting and bikini clad women in Hawaii Five-O but the actors are good. I may be drawn back to watching a series again since Lost is no longer on. But maybe not!
- Fall is really here, I guess. At the overcast and cool Southern California coast, we kept waiting for summer to arrive. My storage box of fall decor has now made it as far as the house but has not been opened. It has, however, been inspected by each pet.
- My 9 patches for the swap I am in have been finished for nearly two weeks but I probably won't get them in the mail until tomorrow as I have been making a little something for the swap hostess out of scraps/stash. I needed navy blue thread for stitching down the binding.
You'd think that would be available among all these blues. Not. I used black instead.
Sneak peak of the back and the dregs of red thread I scrounged for! This was my first time actually quilting on my new sewing desk and it was really nice, even on this small project, not to have to fight with the height difference between the desktop and the machine bed. I've got two more quilt tops to practice on before I start Erica's quilt's more intricate work. I bought some Machinger gloves and am thinking about buying a Supreme Slider sheet. Anyone use those?