Saturday, October 2, 2010

Coastal Quilters Guild Show--Part Tres

This guild has some wonderful guest artists--actually, the one featured at the show is a member and lives locally I believe.  My poor pictures notwithstanding, Norah McMeeking's work is stunning.  Her Bella Bella Quilts book was very popular and also the name of her website.  I enjoyed seeing the beautiful work up close.




This eucalyptus beauty is also Norah McMeeking's work but totally different from her tile-inspired designs. 

There were a lot of small quilted works and one of my favorites was a challenge that a satellite group of the guild created using an ordinary object--in this case, a chair.
These were so inventive!

One of my favorites!  They are small, only about the size of a sheet of copy paper.  Charming, all of them.

Ginkgo leaves are one of my favorite organic shapes.  This was another small quilt, wonderful shading going on here.  

Because this is a Coastal guild after all, there were many sea themed quilts.

Sea turtles.

The artist here is Roxanne Barbieri, owner of a great quilt shop called The Treasure Hunt.  She does a lot of whimsical original designs.  I can guess that she is always doodling on paper.  This is called "Be Careful What You Fish For".

This reads : "If fishes were horses".  So cute!

Scenes of Santa Barbara.

Sailboats and starfish.

And icons of San Buenaventura, my city, commonly called Ventura. Like Santa Barbara, we are a California Mission town, founded by Spanish Missionaries in the late 1700's.  Hope you enjoyed the variety of quilts as much as I did.  I'm planning to attend the next guild meeting as a guest and am seriously thinking about joining.  These ladies appear to have a lot of fun with their craft!

6 comments:

Shevvy said...

Those Bella Bella quilts are stunning, another book to add to my wish list. I love mosaics, I keep taking pics of them at the British Museum thinking I'll do something with them one day but it wouldn't turn out anything like these!

Barb said...

wow...those quilts are just beautiful.

Shay said...

There are so many talented people out there.

Faves for me here include Ginko leaves and the Treasure hunt. Stunningly inspiring!

Unknown said...

I love the sea turtles. All of them are wonderful! I just love going to a quilt show, such inspiration. I really like the new quilt on the header. I am sure you made it?

Quilter Kathy said...

Very beautiful quilt photos! I love the chair pieces and the concept is also intriguing!

Tanya said...

Wow, some of those Bella Bella quilts are breathtaking! I wish! And I liked the cat sitting on the chair. I have the cat fabric, I wonder if I could make a chair...

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...