Saturday, October 9, 2010

Fall Decorating

Fall is my favorite season to decorate for--all the warm colors I just love.  I took just a few photos to share today. 

The quilt in my header is hanging front and center over the antique lawyer's bookcase as you enter the house.
This primitive style suited my applique skills--those stars weren't supposed to have sharp points, thankfully!

I love a pieced backing--even on my wall hangings.  I folded a large square into a triangle and inserted into the corners for hanging purposes before sewing on the binding.  The dowel I've got is a bit thick--I have used old knitting needles as hangers on small wall hangings at times--thin, straight, and very strong.

My mother-in-law gave me this beautiful footed punch bowl and a set of punch cups many years ago.  I believe she got them as a shower gift before she got married.  The base of the bowl and the cup handles are green.  I never took it out of the box until a few years ago when I decided to set it on my sideboard and fill it with Christmas balls for the holidays.  Now I never put it way and have fun changing the decorations in it all year.  Here it is on the piano with pumpkin candles and some fall color added to the potpourri.

I was thrilled to add these shelves when we redid our kitchen several years back.  Green pottery is my favorite and I have many pieces.  My sister calls the bottom piece of pottery "ugly green" but I love those olive tones.  It is getting hard to find at the thrift and junk shops and more expensive so I haven't added for a while.  The leaf shaped frame is modern but the other pieces are probably from the 40s-50s.

On the front porch, this metal kitty found long ago at a thrift store has swallowed some mums.  That poor old three legged stool I bought at a yard sale probably 20 years ago.  It used to have a sunflower painted on the top.  Even peeling and askew, I like it!


A patient of ours brought in this green and white squash--no, it is not a melon.   I have no idea what it is called.  Anyone? 

I like it with my succulents and weathered front porch decor. 

That same patient also brought in a number of these large, heavy pumpkins.  He told us he grows them for cooking and not decoration.  They are so fantastically rustic that they look fake!  One of the girls made a fresh pumpkin pie out of hers and it was delicious.  She said she got many pounds of pumpkin flesh cooked, pureed and frozen so she can make another yummy fresh pie later in the season. 
My Golden Rain tree has finished blooming and even the seed pods have turned a lovely rust color for the season.  Soon all the leaves will be gone and we will need to get it trimmed.  My poor neighbor has most of the leaves falling on his driveway.  Soon I will need to divide my daylilies and clean up the frontyard flower beds.  I plan to put a bucket of them on the sidewalk with a free sign as I can't possibly replant them all!   

10 comments:

Marg said...

I love all your fall decorating, and the applique quilt is very cute, especially the stars.
The front porch decor looks fabulous.

Quilter Kathy said...

Beautiful decorations! Love your wallhanging!

Shay said...

I'm a big fan of pieced backings too.

Love your entry hall display. And everything else you showed. (I'm with your sister on the olive green thingy though - green is not my colour at all )

I'd love to take a peek through your house Annie. I think you and I probably have a similar eclectic decorating style.

Darlene said...

Beautiful decorations, Annie!

Pokey said...

Your home is very warm and welcoming, thanks for the peek in. That pumpkin is impressive, I thought you had had a decorative one there until I read it was real! :-}pokey

Sherrill said...

I LOVE the kitty planter on the stool, the cool squash and pumpkin (LOVE them!) and all your other decorations.

julieQ said...

Looks like fall came to your house...your decorating is just wonderful! I really like those old fashioned looking pumpkins...

Browndirtcottage said...

How CUTE and Fallish everything is girl!! And hey....I like that 'green' stuff too!!!

greatdecoratingideas.com said...

I love the kitty with the mums! Great ideas and loved looking at your images!


Happy Fall!

Banaghaisge said...

OOOH OOOH OOOH - I think I have a sibling of your green bowl on the top shelf! Bought at a garage sale in SF when we lived there.
That green and white melon looks like a jam melon to me. Mum used them for making jam with - they are sort of innocuous tasting, white flesh that cooks clear, yummy made up with preserved ginger. (Jam is jelly. But jelly is clear here. Jam has lumps of fruit.)
All your fall decorating looks wonderful!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...